Meet the Bergens (Part 3)

Prince D was horrified. 

"Eat trolls?!"

Trollzart was also flabbergasted.

"What kind of sick monster would eat smaller living things?!"

Trollex then added, "Oh, man! That's gross!"

Barb then yelled, "Gnarly!"

King Quincy then turned to Poppy, who had a clearly guilty look on her face.

He asked her, "Poppy, what is the meaning of this?"

Poppy turned to her Bergen friends with a sorry look on her face, and then back at her fellow troll rulers.

"I'm sorry, everyone. But, they don't eat trolls anymore. It's been a very long time since they've last eaten a troll. Mainly because they don't need to anymore. I just thought it would be a good idea for you to get to know them before we told you about our past."

Delta looked at Poppy with a look of understanding.

"Poppy, sweetness, I'll admit that knowing about this made me worry a bit, but you are a good queen who has good instincts."

Queen Essence then added, "Poppy, one of the most important things a leader can do is trust others and you haven't given us any reason not to trust you."

Trollex also added, "That means if you trust these Bergens, then we should, too."

All the other leaders nodded in agreement.

Poppy then let out a sigh of relief.

"Thank you. I promise, I won't hide things like this again."

Bridget and Gristle were also relieved. Bridget said, "Thank you all for getting to know us first."

Gristle then added, "Well, now that the cat's out of the bag, some of you probably want to know about this Bergens eating trolls business."

Quincy said, "We are rather curious."

Poppy then said, "Well, gather around and we'll tell you the very long story."

They all did just that. Poppy got out her scrapbook and told the whole story.

***

"Once Upon a Time there was the happiest tree and inside the happiest tree there were called the Trolls. They loved nothing more to sing, and dance, and hug. Dance, and hug, and sing, and dance, and sing, and hug, dance...and hug, and dance, and sing, and hug, and dance and hug... "

Barb said, "Ok, we get it."

"But then one day, the Trolls were discovered by...a Bergen! The Bergens didn't know how to sing... or dance...or even hug. They were the most miserable creatures in all the land. 

Trollzart said, "Oh, my." 

"And once they saw how happy the Trolls were...they wanted some of that happiness of themselves." 

The scrapbook showed a Bergen pushing a troll into his mouth. All of the leaders gasped with horror.

"Eating a Troll made them feel so happy... they started a tradition. Once a year, every year...the Bergens would gather around the Troll Tree...to taste happiness...on a holiday they called...Trollstice." 

***

Prince D said, "So, Branch didn't sing or dance for 20 years? That's terrible."

Poppy replied, "Yeah, but we all knew he had happiness in there somewhere."

***

Delta Dawn said, "You were all found on the same day you escaped?"

Poppy replied, "Yep."

Delta said, "Well , hello, irony."

Poppy said, "I know, right?"

***

"And that's how we met Cloud Guy."

Trollex said, "Man, Branch has some serious anger issues."

Poppy replied, "Yeah, Branch wasn't exactly a guy who could take a joke."

***

"So, Branch became the Village Grump because he lost his grandmother?"

"That's right, Trollzart. At a very young age."

Trollzart sniffed and wiped away his tears with his handkerchief.

"That's the saddest thing I've ever heard!"

***

Barb was surprised.

"So, this Creek guy sold out everyone in your tribe just to save his own skin?!"

"That's right, Barb. I was angry about it, too."

"Why that cowardly, treacherous..."

***

"And that's how the Bergens and Pop trolls became friends. I was coronated as queen that same day, Chef was banished again, Branch found his true colors, and we've been friends ever since."

Every leader clapped.

King Quincy said, "That sounds like one amazing adventure, Poppy. What was everyone's favorite part?"

Trollex replied, "Probably that part where after 20 years without being happy, Branch found his true colors at the perfect time."

Prince D added, "I like the part, too."

Delta Dawn said, "My favorite part was when the Bergens found out that happiness was inside all along."

Trollzart added, "Mine was when Poppy was coronated as queen."

And Barb said, "I kind of wonder what would've happened if they continued to eat trolls."

Everyone stared at her awkwardly.

Poppy then answered, "I'm just happy that won't ever happen again and that life was once again cupcakes and rainbows."

***

Everyone was getting ready to leave.

"Bridget and Gristle, it was so wonderful to meet you and to learn so much about you."

"Thanks, Queen Essence. It was wonderful to meet you all, too. The more trolls, the merrier."

The leaders got back in the caterbus and waved goodbye as it drove back to Pop Village.

Poppy got up and announced, "Everyone, I'm sorry I kept our past rivalry from you and let you find out for yourself. But, we all need to trust each other to make good decisions, and I promise I'll never keep information like that a secret again."

Everyone clapped for Poppy and they just rode off into the sunset.