14. Mason and Wren: Teen Spies.

14 // Mason and Wren: Teen Spies.

"So, do you have any clue what's going on with Liam lately?" Mason questioned as we walked down the school hallway.

A smile played on my lips as I thought about Liam, and what happened a few nights ago, but then I remembered how we haven't spoken a word since, and the smile disappeared. "I'm not sure, actually. You're not the only one being ignored."

Mason seemed shocked by my answer, but instead a smirk appeared on his face. "I heard he's in the weight room -- I swear, ask any freshman girl and they'd know his exact movements, it's scary."

Mason laughed obliviously and I felt my hands curl up uncontrollably. What was going on with me? I couldn't be jealous, could I? Oh no, I'm acting like a normal hormone-crazed teenage girl.

This was not good, not at all.

As Mason raised an eyebrow, he continued. "I say we go corner him! And, I also say I can smell the jealousy off of you from a mile away."

My mouth dropped open, staring wide-eyed at the smirking boy in front of me. Was it that obvious? Mason rolled his eyes, pulling me along in the direction of the weight room before I could protest, or at least choose to.

We were already close to the weight rooms, so in less than a few minutes Mason and mine's heads were peaking out the side of the doorway like the little spies we are. We must've looked ridiculous, and even I wanted to laugh at our antics, but it was affective alright, because there Liam was adding another heavy thing to the heavy thingy.

I was never good with sports.

Or anything to so with health and fitness, really. My whole life I've lived off of takeouts and leftovers, and the I've only even started going near the sports section of this school because of Liam.

See the things that stupid werewolf is doing to me?

"Follow my lead," Mason snapped me out of my unhealthy (oh, so punny, Wren) thoughts, and soon enough I was watching him casually stroll into the room like he'd been there plenty of times.

Then again, he probably has, but knowing Mason, it wasn't for the right reasons.

He looked back at me, and with a wink he added, "play it cool." He picked up a pair of dumbbells, offering to spot for Liam.

"Are you kidding me? This is like 300 pounds! You're going to kill yourself!" Mason argued, and my breath hitched in my throat when Liam dismissed his friend yet again.

What the hell was his problem?

He was going to kill himself with that weight, one distraction and he'd be done for. The weight would crush his chest and no supernatural strength could stop that.

I tried to snap myself out of those dark thoughts, and focus on the matter at hand; Mason was losing his best friend, and I don't know where I'd be if I lost Liam.

Because even if I had a faint idea, it wouldn't be good.

"Do I look like I need help?" Liam raised an eyebrow, a winning smirk on his face, leaving Mason to storm off to me. This was getting ridiculous, because both Mason and I knew that Liam definitely did need help.

And the bags under his eyes were only proving our point further.

"We need to get Scott," Mason instructed, both of us knowing Liam wouldn't make it through the day with the suicidal way he's going. It's like he thinks he has the power of the world or something. Werewolf or not, he's still only sixteen, and someone needs to get that through that think skull of his.

-

With Scott rushing into the weight room, both him and I hearing Liam's groans of pain struggle, I panicked.

Not just freaking out, I'm talking panic-attack-panic. I couldn't believe that, not only was Liam doing this to himself, but there wasn't a single thing I could do to help. Once again, I, Wren Sommers, was rendered helpless and on the verge of cracking.

At least before I met these guys I call friends, I didn't have to worry so much, it was just me. And I was starting to think that all of us were just better off without me involved.

"Liam," Mason breathed, as Scott triumphantly lift the heavy weight off of Liam's chest, and all of us were now close to breathing easily again. Liam crouched down on the floor, coughing and wheezing as Scott put a reassuring hand in his shoulder.

Liam brushed it off, muttering an "I'm fine," and not looking anyone in the eye.

Mason and I shared a look, with me whispering an unstable, "you don't look fine."

Liam's head snapped up at my voice, his sad eyes met mine, but I looked away, the gnawing pain beginning to eat away at me.

"Liam," I whispered, staring hard at the ground. "I get that, you don't want to be with us," I gestured to Scott. "But I swear to God, don't push away your friends, too."

That was all I had to say, before I stormed out of the room, a red-eyed mess.

-

I was leaving the house, ready to get to the Lacrosse game when my phone buzzed, signalling a message from an unknown number.

UNKNOWN; Wren, get to Derek's loft quickly! It's URGENT.

With a shrug, I started pedalling my bike to the outskirts of town, knowing that's where Derek's loft was located. I didn't think anything of it, think one of the pack probably just changed numbers or something along those lines, but oh how I was wrong.

So, so, wrong.

I reached there pretty quickly, noticing the lights were off and still my little mind couldn't think anything of it. I was just too trusting when it came to unknown numbers, and I could slap myself for it.

I was heading up the stairs when my phone beeped again, this time from Mason.

MASON; Sydney's here with an 'I heart Liam' sign and making googly eyes at him, come down here and get your man!

WREN; Sorry Mase, something urgent came up. If you're on speaking terms with Dunbar, wish him good luck.

Reaching the top of the stairs, and turning to see the large sliding doors that lead to Derek's loft, I slid my phone into my back pocket, after turning it off. Every time I open that damned door, it uses all my strength, so with an almighty heave, I was finally inside.

"Guys? I got your tex--!"

I was cut off by the hand of a Beserker wrapping around my mouth, it's foul stench filling my nose and cursing my body with the odd reminder of death. I froze, seeing Kate argent in her Were jaguar glory, sneering down at Scott, with Kira trapped by another Beserker at the other side of the room.

"Well," Kate smirked, looking up at me. And with a malicious grin, she announced, "Now that everyone's here, we're all going to church!"

// trouble in paradise for Wriam :(. But omf I think Mason and Wren need a name, bc they are bROTP man. couldn't wait to update this omg, sorry it's a bit short, but merry christmas you guys! Love you all, and have a safe and happy new year :)
Cliffhangers are fun heh x
Vote and comment your thoughts if you enjoyed <3 hope you did