13. It's okay not to be okay.

13 // It's okay not to be okay.

I groaned from the light sifting through the curtains. I tried to move my hand, only to realise it was intertwined with someone else's. And as a yawn escaped my mouth and my vision cleared, I felt Liam stir beside me. I snuck a glance over to him sleeping beside me, before deciding that he was possibly the cutest sleeper in history.

The way his hair was a ruffled covering his eyes, the way his mouth was left open only slightly the way his nos --

Snap out of, Wren!

And of course, Liam just had to wake up right in this moment, asking groggily as he rubbed his eyes and stretched with a grin, "Wren, why are you staring at me?"

In the shock of his words I managed to tumble off of the bed -- with my hand suddenly feeling cold without his touch -- and bringing a sense of déjà vu with me. "Why does this always happen?" I mumbled, rubbing the side of my head as it throbbed.

"Jesus, Clumsy. Are you alright?" Liam asked, but I could tell he was stifling a laugh, and, well, he wasn't putting up a very good fight, because seconds after I rolled my eyes at him, he finally let go of the loud laugh he'd been holding in. It still amazed me that a loud that obnoxious and loud still managed to make Liam even cuter.

"I'm terrific," I muttered, though he could barely hear it.

"So," Liam clasped his hands together. "I think we both deserve a break from werewolves and witches, and everything supernatural, really. Today, we are gonna call up Mason, and we're going to act like normal teenagers, even if only for a day."

Liam grinned and I felt the butterflies return to my stomach, for both that smile of his, and the words I couldn't have put together better than myself.

Because in the end, we're still just kids, and we're fighting battles we shouldn't be able to win.

-

"When did you get so good?" Mason asked as he lost yet another round to Liam. I wasn't doing too badly, if I may say so myself. "Have you been practising, or did you suddenly just get superhuman reflexes?"

I stiffened at the thought of how on point Mason was with his assumption. I breathed out in relief when he laughed, Liam joining in with him.

"Uh, practising. Yeah, just practising," Liam confirmed-slash-lied. Hey, you never know, maybe Liam really had been practising. But, I highly doubt it.

We had been playing various video games in Liam's room all day, and I had to say Liam had succeeded. Because not once was I reminded of the supernatural. In fact, it barely even crossed my mind.

"And, I should be studying," Mason realised, breaking the mood and handing Liam back the controller.

"Wait, where're you going?" Liam asked, sounding worried that Mason was getting up to leave.

"Home? We have a history test tomorrow," Mason responded, confused.

"Wait wait, we have a test tomorrow?" How did I not know about this?

"Look, I'm just gonna say it, Wren. It amazes me how you're not failing," Mason shook his head with a laugh and I playfully punch his shoulder, getting up along with him.

"C'mon guys, just one more game! Y-You can study here! Just one more," Liam pleaded, with that sad look on his face that made my heart melt.

I started to get worried about Liam, "hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah. N-No you're right, you should go," Liam contradicted himself, with sad eyes. Something wasn't right, but a message from my father stopped me from investigating further.