23 - Preparing For 'Battle'

Start from the beginning

"Down boy, that was my job." She drew out the other ashtray she had and placed it in John's lap.

Sherlock smirked knowingly. It was impossible to believe that she did only try to take one. He was just glad she confessed to them. Now he knew that she trusted them. Of course, it also meant she would always be tempted but, again, at the very least she admitted to it.

John stared at the ashtray and then at Elizabeth, "But - you said Mycroft asked for it."

"He did."

"And you said you gave it to him?"

"I did."

"Then how - "

"I gave him the other one. He never thought I would be bold enough to take two." Once again she and Sherlock shared a gaze and a smile.

As John looked at the ashtray, he couldn't avoid the next smile that was teased on his lips. He shook his head.

"The both of you are unbelievable."

He chuckled, drawing in the other two to laugh with him too.

They didn't happen to notice the person in the car next to theirs photographing them together. Although they would meet the woman responsible for their secret paparazzi soon enough.

* * * * * *

When they arrived back at 221B, Sherlock made a break for his room; Elizabeth headed to the kitchen for a much-needed, comforting cup of tea; John headed to the living room and grabbed the newspaper on the coffee table. Sherlock still hadn't explained why they came back to the flat first.

Yet, soon enough, the detective was hurling clothes out of the wardrobe in his room and tossing them around in search of the perfect outfit. John frowned at the sound that distracted him from te article he was reading and Elizabeth just stared down the hall, questioningly, into Sherlock's room as she strained her tea.

"What are you doing?" John called without looking away.

"I'm going into battle, John. I need the right armour." Was the response from two detective as he walked out of his room in a high-vis jacket.

He gestured his arms out slightly as if he was presenting himself and awaiting an opinion from the thief. There was a look in his eye that unnerved her. Did he know that she knew a little about 'The Woman'? Perhaps she was just overthinking it.

Elizabeth's eyes narrowed at the choice, "She might think that's an invitation if you wear that, being a 'dominatrix' and all."

She took a sip of her tea after but held her gaze with him. His eyes widened slightly at the notion.

"Then no."

A smirk crept across her lips at his reaction. He was funny like that. And she found it kind of cute.

* * * * * *

Again, they were back in the taxi.

"So, what's the plan?" John asked.

"We know her address."

"Yes. Yes, we do." Elizabeth nodded with an incredulous look at the simplicity of Sherlock's answer, "But that's not a plan."

John shrugged, asking, "What? We just ring her doorbell?"

And to their surprise, the detective replied, "Exactly. Just here, please."

As the taxi started slowing down, Elizabeth rolled her eyes. Of course, on this one occasion Sherlock didn't appear to have a plan. John just shook his head, blatantly confused.