Chapter XXXII ✠ The Crown of Tears

Start from the beginning

"Maybe I'd give you an heir if you weren't so negligent of responsibility. I believe my tenant's wives are less daft than you!" He hissed, jerking away from the cup away from her grasp and seeing it empty.

"Perhaps I would drink less If I had better things to occupy my time here," Wilona said, crossing her arms.

"What could you possibly do better than drinking!? You lament like a peat farmer, and you're a queen! Start acting like one!" Gareth blew up.

Wilona was taken back by his explosiveness. He was usually so gentle talking to her. Now that Gareth is king, he will put up with no such embarrassing behavior from his wife.

"I know I could do many things better than drinking, maybe being a better mother than wife if you'd give me a chance!" She snapped back.

Una gulped as she continued to listen intently. Gareth took a deep breath and collected himself from his outburst. He would not have a drunken wife to parade around her first night as queen. He would not allow her to soil his reputation as well as his father's legacy he left.

"I'm negotiable," Gareth said.

Una's heart nearly stopped as she knew what he was going to offer her.

"Give me a queen that does not act as a heathen, and I'll give you a son," Gareth said.

He bit his lip and turned away. What he said had already been sealed. Wilona would give up anything to have his child.

"Oh, Gareth!" She shouted in joy.

"If I smell even a drop of mead on your breath this night, I will leave you barren forever." He hissed.

"I promise you! I swear by all that is holy and just, and in God's approval now, I pray that I do not touch a drop again." She ran up to him and caressed his cheek.

"I mean it." He said scornfully as he tore her wine scented hand away.

"Now go join the others for the banquet." He demanded.

"But I want to stay with you!" Wilona insisted.

"Now, Wilona!" He pointed at the door.

She bowed to him and left. Una could hear a roar as the doors opened, and they soon closed. Una's heart was racing so fast. It felt like she was back in the mountains, spying for Vikings and Danes again. She could hear Gareth's slow and heavy breaths. He saw the large bottle of wine sitting on the alter. He didn't care for wine so much. He liked honeyed teas, and they didn't pollute his mind as spirits did. He sat down in front of the altar with the bottle in his hand and began to drink heavily. Una's eyes widened as she watched him gorge on the wine.

"God, please help me." He said, closing his eyes and looking up.

He opened his eyes and looked down at the bottle in his hand. He was no better than his wife now that he was trying to make himself drunk. He needed to be drunk this night. All-day has been sorrowful for him. Talk of his dead father, the weight of the kingdom on his shoulder, impending alliances, and wars. This all upset Gareth very much, but he would not let it show. He felt like a festering wound, bound to burst soon. Gareth stood up, placed the wine back on the altar, and faced the door's direction. Una ducked down, fearing that he would feel her eyes staring down at him.

"Damn it!" She could hear him scream.

As he screamed, she could hear a great clatter of metal and the sounds of beads scattering across the floor. Suddenly she felt little objects rain down on her and the clatter of metal again hitting the ground. Una sat up and peered over the edge to see. Gareth had thrown his crown against the wall above Una. He had broken it, and the gems had scattered from being dislodged from the force. Gareth was on his hands and knees crying. No one could hear the sounds of his woes as the feasting had begun. Una was heartbroken by this sight. She knew how he felt, only no one was there to comfort Una. She was all alone in the hours after Eurion's crown was passed to her.