The finale

Weaver's POV
5 days later
Denali National preserve, Alaska
     I woke up to my alarm blasting in my ear from my earbuds causing me to bolt upright as I repeatedly hit snooze before sighing, I pushed Emma back and forth as she groaned trying to stay asleep "Come on em, we've got an hour to get to our vantage before sun rise" she yawned as she sat up "What?" I repeated "Get dressed, we've got an hour before sunrise and we have to be to our vantage point before sun rise" she nodded groggily "what're our options to get him?" I sighed "same as yesterday, spot, stalk, ruck him out" she nodded as she put on her camo and got her rifle. I unzipped the tent and climbed out starting a fire and making some coffee, by the time Emma emerged I had the coffee done and was pouring a cup for her "here, it'll help you wake up for the hike" she replied looking up "thanks, it's amazing out here" I chuckled before replying "yeah, it is pretty nice to get away for a little bit" she nodded before asking "how do you know we'll get him?" I got a far off look in my eye "He attacked my father when I was young, every year we come out here to try to get him, to get closure I guess, anyway every year we see him but he's an elusive one. We never see him where we can get a clear shot" she sighed "well I guess we should get hiking, it's a long walk" I nodded as I took one last sip before using my coffee to put out the fire and walking over grabbing my rucksack and Savage arms 111 long range hunter

before sitting next to Emma, who was checking her gear,  "got everything?" She smiled before saluting "yes mentor" I lifted my fist to which she responded by pressing the back of her hand against mine "let's go, we'll get him this year" she replie...

before sitting next to Emma, who was checking her gear,  "got everything?" She smiled before saluting "yes mentor" I lifted my fist to which she responded by pressing the back of her hand against mine "let's go, we'll get him this year" she replied "together?" I smiled as I bumped her shoulder before standing "together" she stood and we started up the game trail. It was a quiet walk both of us keeping our eyes open for any sign, about 30 meters from the camp I crouched and touched the ground before recalling my hand and whisper yelling "Emma, come here" she moved next to me "oui? What is it?" I motioned broadly infront of us "do you see it?" She looked around until her eyes landed on the tracks "whoa" I nodded while smiling "we had a visitor" she gave me a look "why are you smiling? This track is huge" I replied "because he's still here, we have a chance to bag him" she sighed as I stood and started following the tracks in the damp mud towards the berry fields. After a quarter mile and 10 minutes later, the ground hardened and the sign of the old bear all but vanished I sighed quietly "Well that was pointless, Emma, let's get to that vantage. I've wasted too much time as it is" she chuckled quietly "how does it feel to be so wasteful?" I shook my head with a small smile "oh shut up, I was hoping we'd catch him slipping" she replied "did yo-" I cut her off as I looked around "Do you hear that?" I shouldered my rifle and listened as the bushes 40 meters away were getting broken as something big was moving through them, "come on, let's get out of here this isn't a good place to get into it with a bear" she nodded and started walking out the same way we entered with me right behind her, I kept scanning the edge of the brush trying to spot whatever it was moving through then until suddenly a young Moose calf burst through the undergrowth about 35 meters away. I tapped Emma's shoulder and didn't say anything as she turned and saw the little moose looking around as his mother walked out after him, we paused and watched the two for a couple minutes before we slung our rifles over our shoulders and headed to the overlook and setting up our observation station on top of this large hill. I sat down using my bag as a backrest while I looked over the Alaskan bush for the silver coat of the Old Bear, I heard Emma next to me quietly "this place is gorgeous"