The final assault

Weavers pov
3 days after war breaks out
Washington DC, Maryland
We slowly drove through the destroyed city of DC, I remembered the initial invasion a year ago. "Funny how the past repeats itself, isn't it?" Jäger looked over "Hmm? What?" I replied somewhat distractedly "The city, it looks the same as it did a year ago when they first attacked" he looked around "it looks like a scene in a movie, the city is empty, it's burning and destroyed, the soldiers fighting in the streets" I nodded as Twitch mused "I never thought I'd see what you saw" I stared out at the city "I never wanted you to" we were coming up on the plaza my team was ambushed in "Hey Jäger stop up here, I want to check something out" he was confused but nodded "alles klar(okay then)" when we stopped, I got out and walked into the plaza looking around. I saw everything the way it was that day, I looked down and saw the marble tinted pink as I crouched and placed my hand on one of the tinted marble pieces "So they never fully got you guys out of here" I looked up and saw the machine gun nest still there, just rusted and unmanned, I carefully walked up to the building and entered heading to the second floor. I slowly walked through the hallway until I reached the turret and ran my hand over the barrel until I heard Emma behind me "Voodoo?" I turned "oh hey, sorry I took so long" she slowly walked forward looking around "what is this place? Why'd we stop here?" I looked at the gun "this is the machine gun that killed my team, down there" I said motioning to the plaza "is where they died, I wanted to see if it changed" she looked around sadly "So this is it, this is where everything happened" I nodded as I took my hand off the gun "we should get a move on, we've got a mission to do" she blocked the hallway "non, parle moi(no, talk to me)" I sighed "Emma, ​​ça va, mes amis me manquent(Emma, I'm okay, I just miss my friends)" she looked at me "tu ne mens pas bien?(you're not lying right?)" I replied "non, je ne mens pas(no, I'm not lying)" she nodded before saying "Okay, if you need anything let me know" and turned walking down the hallway I followed her "Merci emma, it means a lot" she looked back "that's what friends do, take care of each other" I muttered my voice barely audible "that's what they told me" she turned again "hmm?" I looked up "don't worry about it, it's nothing" she looked unsure but I stopped talking and climbed back into the humvee "Let's go" Marius nodded and started the humvee again as Sandman radioed "Hey voodoo, you good?" I thumbed my radio "Rog' just wanted to see it one last time" he replied "You gotta let it go man, they wouldn't want you hung up on it. It could've been any of us" I sighed before thumbing my radio again "I did a lot of stuff they didn't want me to do, I'll just add this to the list" Frost was heard this time "Bro, it's okay to let go of the past." I sighed as Emma asked "Weaver what are they talking about?" I ignored her and replied to Frost "Maybe I don't want to let go" he sighed as Truck replied "sometimes you have to if you want to move forward with someone new" Emma asked again "Weaver, what are they talking about?" I looked back "I'll tell you after the mission" before replying to Truck "it's not that easy and you know it" he sighed "yea, I do but I also know how much better it is to move on" I was going to reply when Frost was heard "you should tell her, she deserves to know" I paused "maybe I will, guns up we're here" I slowly got out of the humvee and looked around the outside of the armory and on the lawns seeing no Masks I mused "odd..."

"