Chapter 1: Childhood Antics

(Warning! Mentions of gore)

     Violet looked mischievously at her unsuspecting older brother she slowly crept up behind him careful not to make a sound. She was making sure to be extra quiet. It was no small feat for a five-year-old to sneak up on her big six-year-old brother. Once her prey was within range she pounced. Her brother cried out like a wounded animal as she tackled him to the hardwood floor of their house. Before Link realized what was happening Violet was proudly sitting on top of him her hands pressed firmly on his chest to keep him from moving. She smirked at him proudly. 

     "I win!" she chanted victoriously. 

     Link pouted before an idea struck.

     "Hey what's that?!" he shouted and pointed at a wall.

     "What's what?" she asked turning to face the wall her brother pointed at.

     Link took advantage of his sister being distracted and flipped her over so he was now on top of her. Pinning her small frame to the floor.

     "I win." Link cooed to his little sister.

     "Hey! No fair! You distracted me!" she yelled back, anger contorting her little face.

      "Ehh," he replied shrugging "You'll get me back eventually."

      Link got off his little sister and helped her up. Just then their father walked in the door. He was a large man with a big scratchy beard that always made Violet giggle when he would kiss her goodnight. He looked at Link angrily. 

      "Link I thought I told you to go get milk and rice from the general store." their father's low voice said.

      "Oh! I'm sorry papa I forgot." Link said looking down. He hated disappointing his father.

      "Well you better get to it before the store closes," he said anger radiating off his voice.

     Link hurried grabbed the satchel of money on the table and left for the general store. It was a little way away from their house in Hateno Village. After he'd left little Violet turned to her father and said:

     "Papa don't be mad at Link. It was my fault I distracted him," she hung her head in shame. 

     Her father sighed.

     "Is that so?" he asked as he took off his heavy boots and sat down at the table. Violet nodded still not looking at her father.

     "Well you better hope he hurries back. I planned on making rice balls tonight for dinner," he said anger dissipating. 

     "My favorite!" Violet squealed and bounded over to the table to give her father a big hug. 

                                                                              :::

     Link returned home about ten minutes later with the necessary supplies to make rice balls. Their father took them outside to the cooking pot that was under the apple tree.  He sat them down and decided to teach them how to make their mother's famous rice balls. Their mother passed on about three years ago. Both kids were too young to remember her, but that didn't stop their father from telling them stories of their mother. Of her bravery and kindness. Those were the kids' favorite stories.

     The children loved their father wholeheartedly. They loved his jokes, they loved his stories, but most importantly they loved his presence. Their father was a man of few words but he could move a room full of people to silence with a single glare. When he spoke people listened. He was a knight of the royal guard and worked under King Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule. The children were proud to call that man their father.