Not What it Seems

Start from the beginning

All three girls had now turned on the water works and Dean’s face twisted into a look of shock and fear. He had no idea how to console the three girls and make them stop crying. That was one thing that Sammy had always been better at. Slowly, Dean stood up and moved around the table to the first girl, Nicole.

Sam and Castiel’s eyes were trained on Dean and he tried to maneuver awkwardly in his uncomfortable heels.

Dean crouched beside the first girl and placed his hand onto her back. “Hey now, keep it together. Brianna would have wanted you to stay strong for her, okay?” Dean’s hand was moving slowly on her back trying to make her stop crying.

The hunter jumped in surprise when Nicole leaned over and threw her arms around him. She clung onto him and began to sob into his shoulder. Dean felt really uncomfortable now and he looked wildly towards Sam and Cas, his eyes begging them to help. Sam just smirked softly while jealousy shone in Castiel’s eyes.

Dean groaned inwardly, he wasn’t trying to make Cas jealous or turn into a human sized handkerchief for this girl. He just wanted her to stop crying so they could continue the investigation.

Dean glanced at the other two girls, who were also crying. The hunter looked at his brother and nodded his head towards the girls.

Sam instantly picked up on Dean’s vibe and he quickly stood up, nudging Cas to do the same. Together, both boys moved over and tried to calm the last two girls down.

It took no less than ten minutes and an endless stream of words to get all the girls to calm their water works down to simple sniffles and snorts.

“Are we good now?” Dean asked as he tried to pry himself away from the girl holding firmly to his shoulders.

The girl finally let Dean go and looked at him. Her face was a puffy and red, teary wet splotches were spattered across her face. There were black streaks of makeup all over the place and even her hair and somehow managed to get itself into a messy knot.

“I-I think I’m g-good.” The girl said with some more sniffles and a shaky, mostly ineffective swipe at her face in an attempt to wipe off some of the makeup. “It’s- it’s so nice t-to talk to a girl that actually believes our story.”

Dean pursed his lips and bit his tongue as he was once again reminded that he wasn’t in his own body still. “Yeahh… I glad to help.” Dean tried to sound cheery and encouraging for the girl, but he had caught a glance at the smug look on his brother’s face. Sam could be such a douche sometimes…  Dean couldn’t believe that he still found this whole ordeal so funny. To Dean, it was anything but funny.

“D-do you think we could go back t-to our rooms?” The girl who was clinging to Sam’s arms asked.

“Uh…” Sam gave a questioning look towards Dean, silently asking him if they had any more questions to ask.

Dean was about to tell the girls that they could leave, but a sudden thought occurred to him and he said, “Two more questions and you can go.”

The three girls nodded slightly and waited expectantly for Dean to ask his questions.

“Alright, think back to that day one more time and try to remember if you smelled something like… rotten eggs maybe or if there have been some random cold spots around the time of the attack.”

“I… I don’t… I don’t think so…” One of the girls mumbled. “Why? Is that important or something?”

“Uh… no, it’s-uh… just some routine questions….” Dean said as he tried to brush the unusual questions off as nothing. All the girls gave Dean a strange look.