Chapter 36

(A/N: I just realized something. I never said what happens to Kurai's furry kitty ears or tail. So here's the deal: After the fight in the barracks and Kurai waking up again after being healed, Kurai learns how to cloak her kitty appendages with chakra, and uses a small genjutsu to give the impression of having regular ears. But she still has those... Ahem, 'items' and their uses within her arsenal. Thus, she doesn't like close, loud spaces, due to her sensitive hearing and the slight chance that someone might feel her tail brushing up against them. I for one would probably freak out if I felt something touch me and couldn't see it. So yeah. That's all!)

~Kurai's POV~

We all paused underneath the arching white gates leading into the Hidden Village of Snow. Both Hideaki and I were next to each other, and we both had our heads craned back, gawking at the humongous gates standing before us.

I jump when a hand is set down on my shoulder, but relax when I see Akemi's smiling face.

"Hey, it'll be fine, don't worry." She murmurs to me. "There's no need to be nervous. The daimyo's a nice guy, and I'm sure he'll understand the situation."

I breath out, suddenly reminded why hideaki and I are here. "Y-yeah, you're right." I shakily say. I ball my fists up and center myself, my determination renewed.

"Let's go Hideaki." I quietly say. He nods, and slips his hand in mine. I gently squeeze it, and lift my head up, thoughtfully staring at the sign leading to either our fate, or destiny.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After that we went into the village, surrounded by Akemi's ninja. Akemi then left us, saying, "I have to go report in, but for now you'll stay with the others until your summoned. Good luck!"

And with that, she poofs away. The others led us to the barracks, where we spent our time waiting. The rest of the ninja relax, some leaving to bring back food and drinks, while the others set up games and chat with one another.

Despite the hearty atmosphere, I can still feel an undercurrent of tension. But it's broken when a poof of smoke fills the room, making most of the ninja around me cough and gag.

When the smoke dissipates, it reveals a sheepish looking Akemi. "Sorry guys." She says, scratching her neck with a sweatdrop on her head.

"What's the verdict?" Asks Kuma.

"Unfortunately, that's to be decided. The elders have discussed it for hours, and are still at a stalemate. So to decide the verdict, they want to put Kurai on the stand." Akemi responds, turning to him. Then she faces me, and formally says, "Kurai, you are hereby ordered to appear before the Council of Snow in an appeal for your freedom."

Her stern face fades, and she grins at me. "I'll be there to 'guard' you, as will Kuma and Hotaru here. If anything happens, we can try and help you argue your case, so don't sweat it. It'll be a piece of cake!"

I look at her, my eyebrow raised. 'A piece of cake huh? All of these assurances aren't making me feel any better, and I'd rather she not say them in front of Hideaki at all.'