Helping or Hurting: The Effects of Prolonged Maternity Leave halfass Essay

There are many responsibilities and changes that come with having a baby. Not only do they affect the mothers physically, mentally, and emotionally, but financially as well. Mothers are urged to rest and nurse their baby after giving birth. The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 labor law was passed with good intentions to allow time off work for mothers of newborns. Although the current length of maternity leave may be beneficial to most, extending that time period to a year and making it mandatory may do more harm than good. A mandatory yearlong maternity leave will affect each mother differently depending on their health and financial situation.

                A mother's physical and mental health are challenged after childbirth, impairing her overall performance. Natural births and c-sections can take a big toll on the body. Mental problems can also be present during this time. Studies show that "approximately one in every seven new mothers is affected by more serious mood problems described as postpartum depression" that could remain "clinically depressed" for six months or more (Wozney1.) There is also evidence that "3.17% of women" reported having post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after childbirth (Ayers1). Some women recover from childbirth faster than others. The ones that do manage to quickly get back to their normal self, may prefer to return to work earlier. This could negatively affect an industrious person if they are not able to, causing restlessness as they strive to be productive during the twelve months off. However, those with slower recoveries will be positively affected due to the additional time. A yearlong maternity leave can be favorable or unfavorable to a woman's healing process after birth.

                A woman's financial situation can affect her feelings toward mandatory, yearlong maternity leave. Since FMLA applies only to employees who have worked for at least 1,250 h during the year preceding childbirth at companies with 50 or more employees, only about 20% of new mothers and 50% of all mothers are covered by the Family and Medical Leave Act (Guendelman2). Single mothers and those who help pay bills may be negatively affected by this, because they are unable to make money during this time off, causing them to worry. Studies further suggest that poor working parents and working welfare recipients are more likely than others to take short leaves due to insufficient savings to cover lost wages, especially if not granted paid leave (Guendelman3). However, mothers of "higher income" and college degrees are "more likely to obtain job-protected maternity leave and especially paid leave from their employers." They benefit from the yearlong maternity leave, because they can peacefully bond with their child at home.

             A longer maternity leave will affect every mother differently depending on their situation. Some could benefit from the extra time off; others may suffer from it. To avoid the problems that can arise from this, the yearlong policy should be optional. That way a mother can decide what is best for her and her family.