Chapter 13: Investigation Part I - Who is He/She

Zacznij od początku

Today, Cheng Xiao was filming for Celebrity Olympic 101: Skateboarding Edition. Even though Yibo was filming for this episode as well, they were in indifferent teams and so were in different locations.

Lost in her thoughts and slowly persuading herself that Xiao Zhan was trying to harm Yibo, Cheng Xiao started to find ways to identify this man's plot. With a distracted mind, Cheng Xiao lost control of her skateboard while on a hand-rail and fell off. She scraped her knees and hands as well as sprained her ankle.

In the midst of getting her injuries inspected by the in-house provider and calling for transportation to a hospital, Cheng Xiao came up with an idea. "Can we go to Yunmeng hospital? T-they has a VIP department that knows how to deal with the media," Cheng Xiao tried to justified her request.

Cheng Xiao has her own private doctor that has taken care of her family and she usually visits his clinic when she was injured. However, with the reputation that Yunmeng Hospital has, the staff doesn't question her decision and immediately transported her there. Only her manager thought otherwise but she just assumed it's another one of Cheng Xiao's antic in 'sharing the same interests as Yibo'.

On her way to the hospital, she heard the in-house provider trying to set up a room with the VIP department. To ensure her plan went smoothly, she interjected the conversation, "Can I request for Dr. Xiao Zhan?"

The provider heard Cheng Xiao's request and passed on the message, assuming that she knew Xiao Zhan. However, the Yunmeng staff told him that Xiao Zhan doesn't work in that department. He relayed the message to Cheng Xiao and continued playing phone-tag while growing impatient with this celebrity. He had his fair share of arrogant celebrities who doesn't listen to his suggestions and have accepted that once you've gained that much fame, you become high-maintenance. Why is she so strict on who evaluates her? You requested Yunmeng hospital due to its VIP department, but now you want to be seen by someone who doesn't work in it?!

After several minutes of back-and-forth, Cheng Xiao threw away her manners and exclaimed, "I only want to be seen by Dr. Xiao and no one else," ending the conversation.

~~~~~

On the other line was the receptionist who was also pushed to her limit. Hearing Cheng Xiao's demand in the background, she tightened her grip on the phone. In comparison to the TV show provider, the VIP staff has it worse since they deal with only wealthy people who could be crueler than Cheng Xiao. After she hung up the phone, she contacted the manager to relay the client's request.

This incident found its way to Zhuo Cheng who then took it into his own hands. "Then follow her request and have Dr. Xiao evaluates her."

"But he has his own patients to see in the Internal Medicine department. Dr. Liu*** isn't going to let us pull him away because of some celebrity."

***Introduced in chapter 2. Dr. Cici Liu is the head of the Internal Medicine department and recruited Xiao Zhan.

"Who said we're going to pull him away? If she wants to be seen by him then she goes there and gets seen."

The manager and receptionist widened their eyes, "B-but, she's a VIP..."

"One," Zhuo Cheng interrupted, "she hasn't stepped foot into this hospital so she isn't a VIP member yet. Two...Hmph. Clearly she is in search of someone, not the services that our department provides."

This time, the two people stared at Zhuo Cheng in awe. This is what our future CEO should be like. Show them that we can't be stepped on that easily, Boss!

Zhuo Cheng pulled out his phone and called the Internal Medicine department. With his authority, he simply told the receptionist to add Cheng Xiao onto Xiao Zhan's schedule and tell Xiao Zhan to call him back when he had a moment.

About five minutes later, Zhuo Cheng picked up his phone and heard Xiao Zhan's scolding before Zhuo Cheng could even say 'hello'.

"Zhuo Cheng, what is this about?! How can you abuse your power like this? You didn't ask me in advance!"

"Calm down, there's no time to spare. She should be arriving in half an hour or so."

Xiao Zhan sighed in defeat, "Why?"

"I would like to ask you that."

"Huh?"

"She specifically requested for you. The receptionist told her that you don't work in the VIP department, yet she insisted that she gets seen by you and no one else. Personally, I don't care if she goes to another facility. However, since she requested our hospital and one of our staff, I can't deny her service." Zhuo Cheng explained as his tone became more authoritative.

Growing up as brothers, Xiao Zhan and Zhuo Cheng couldn't get rid of their habit of teasing and arguing with each other in this work environment. However, there were times where they had to play their roles properly, even if it offends the other person. This time, Zhuo Cheng had to carry out his task as a VIP manager while Xiao Zhan had to perform his as a lower-ranking employee.

As much as Xiao Zhan was uncomfortable with this situation, he knew that this was part of the job. "Alright," Xiao Zhan resigned. "But honestly, I don't know her."

Zhuo Cheng hung up the phone and pondered about the situation. Cheng Xiao, Cheng Xiao. Then a thought popped in his head and Zhuo Cheng searched Weibo for [Cheng Xiao, Wang Yibo]. As expected, the connection was Wang Yibo. With one question answered, another one still lingered: Why does she want to see Xiao Zhan?

Zhuo Cheng pulled up his favorites in the contact list and messaged Zoey for the assistant.

[ZC: Zoey, something interesting is about to happen to Xiao Zhan.

MyLady: What???

ZC: Do you know about the 'YiXiao' couple?

MyLady: Of course I know about that. More importantly, why do you know?

ZC: ...

ZC: She's heading to the hospital from an injury and is adamantly requesting for Xiao Zhan. She'll be in your department soon, can you find out why she wants to see him?

ZC: I asked Xiao Zhan and he doesn't know why

MyLady: What?! She's heading here?

MyLady: Why not the VIP]

Zhuo explained to Zoey the event and why Cheng Xiao was being seen in the Internal Medicine department. Zoey then agreed to investigate and reconvene later.