Chapter Thirty-One

CHARLUS WAS WELL aware that Dumbledore would not reveal Harry's location, no matter who pleaded with him

CHARLUS WAS WELL aware that Dumbledore would not reveal Harry's location, no matter who pleaded with him. He also knew that Dumbledore would be on high alert after Fudge had taken a rather nasty fall from public grace. More than likely, he was anticipating Charlus' visit and already had his answer well prepared. The letter was not enough to convince him of Harry's doubtful safety believing it to be self-made, but Charlus only wanted to hear the reasoning behind why the Dursleys had been chosen. And once Dumbledore confessed the sacrificial protection, Charlus was willing to pretend that he admitted defeat.

However, prior to arriving at the castle, Charlus had shared the trip with Professor McGonagall and they definitely had not walked in complete silence.

"Professor, you know as well as I do that he's not going to give up Harry's location," Charlus told her as they braved the cold together. " At least, not until he's in total control of the situation. He's going to insist that Harry stays with the Dursleys. I see it written all over your face, you know how terrible that is. I need your help, Professor. You know where the Dursleys are."

McGonagall stopped and turned to Charlus, her face carrying the conflict of the situation. On one hand, she had been to Dumbledore for decades. He had been her mentor and became a good friend during trialling times. And yet, over the years, she had met plenty of students that she enjoyed the company of, but none of them compared to the adoration she felt towards students like James and Charlus Potter, along with Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and even then, Peter Pettigrew.

"Please," Charlus pleaded with her, " I'm not the only one asking you here. If the Heavens exist, James and Lily are asking you to please help their son. I promise you with all of my being that I will keep Harry safe. Sirius and I have all these plans when it comes to spoiling Harry and making sure he's happy. I just need your help, one last time, Professor."

As she looked at him, McGonagall raised one of her hands and gently touched the side of his face.

"You realise if you go down this route, Charlus, you won't be able to stay here. The Ministry is already looking for any reason to take you down or at the very least, Fudge is. And if you attempt this plan, Dumbledore will surely-"

"You said it yourself, Professor. You told Dumbledore what you witnessed with your own eyes and he still placed Harry there. And if that's not enough, I told you about the letter, but look at it for yourself. Look at what Harry sent back to me."

Removing it from his pocket, Charlus handed over the letter for McGonagall to observe, watching as she slowly lifted a hand to cover her mouth to conceal her horror. But even then, her reaction was enough as Charlus took the letter back.

"If I tell you where he is," she began, " will you still need to go to the castle?"

"Yes. Not only do I want to hear Dumbledore's reasoning for myself, but I also need to cover my tracks, Professor. We just need to be discreet about this matter. I would never want to drag you down with me."