Chapter Twenty-Three

IT WAS CHRISTMAS EVE and despite nearly freezing to death the night before, Charlus was already up and moving the next morning when Sirius woke up

IT WAS CHRISTMAS EVE and despite nearly freezing to death the night before, Charlus was already up and moving the next morning when Sirius woke up. Slowly pushing himself up off the floor, Sirius felt how stiff his body was, but he had to admit, it was one of the best nights of sleep he had gotten since being out of Azkaban. As he moved around, stretching his arms out, Sirius spotted Charlus sitting in the kitchen at the table. Before him, Charlus had a stack of sandwiches on a plate, happily eating the tower, layer by layer.

"Oh good, you're awake," Maeve's sounded behind Sirius, bringing him to turn around. "I was waiting for you to wake up on your own before I started decorating. I didn't want to disturb you. How did you sleep?"

"Fine, actually," he answered, "I don't think I had any nightmares after going back to sleep once Charlus was back. My neck and back are killing me though."

"I figured," Maeve said with a wave of her wand, decorating the mantle with garland, " you'll find some relief on the kitchen table, in the little bottle. Charlus was practically walking sideways this morning because his neck was bothering him. But go ahead and then help yourself to some breakfast before Charlus eats the home. I don't think I've ever seen him eat so much."

"Actually, this is quite typical for him," Sirius laughed, " this is considered a light snack for him. You should have seen him when we were in Hogwarts, he could clear the Great Hall by himself. And when he was home, Euphemia couldn't get the food on his plate fast enough. He's a big eater."

"Well, it seems between the pacing, the stubbornness, and his appetite, Charlus is returning to his original self even more. That's a good thing. I'm sure he is going to recover now that he has you and Remus around him. Familiarity is a good thing to have during these times."

"Well, as much as I would like to take credit for this, I think it was James' that helped the most."

Maeve tilted her head to the side in confusion, in the midst of putting up her Christmas tree, before she glanced over at Sirius. "James? How could that be?"

Sirius adjusted the little deer figurine on the mantle. "Prongs has always been there for his loved ones, even death couldn't stop him."

"Well, either way, I'm glad to see Charlus eating, but you need to start eating more as well. So get in that kitchen and eat something. I will be heading out here shortly to finish some Christmas shopping."

Nodding his head, Sirius left Maeve to finish her decorating and walked over to where Charlus was sitting. Noting the movement around him, Charlus lifted his head up and was met with a kiss on his forehead before Sirius ran a hand through his hair.

Jokingly, Sirius went to grab one of Charlus' sandwiches from his plate, only to watch as his husband's jaw clenched. He didn't say anything though, willing to let Sirius eat one of his sandwiches, no matter how territorial he was over his food.