-Nightmares-

The night was still at the Edge. Everything was peaceful. No attacks. No ambushes. No dragons squawking. The lights had been extinguished and everyone was sleeping. Then, a blood curdling scream sounded throughout the entire island. Hannah jolted awake and rushed to where the sound had emitted from. Hiccup's hut.

She burst through the doors to see her brother shivering and wriggling violently, sweat trickling down his forehead. He was mumbling incoherent words before he let out another scream. Hannah rushed to him and shook him violently.

"HICCUP! HICCUP WAKE UP!" She roared in his face. Hiccup woke up, panting heavily. A tear ran down his cheek and he hugged his knees before sobbing into them. Toothless crooned at his rider and nudged him lightly. Hiccup didn't respond and continued sobbing. Valka sat down next to her son and hugged him.

"M-mom." Hiccup croaked out. The nightmares still hasn't stopped. It's been 3 years, but the nightmares have been progressively getting worse. Knives running down his body, whips whipping him until his skin split open, continuous beatings from the hunters, starving him, dehydrating him, locking him up in all sorts of places making him go insane. The memories of these events still lingered in Hiccup's mind, as if it had all happened the day before. After being tortured so much by the hunters, Hannah had lost her brother.

After a week of being captured, and Hannah and Valka finding him eventually, it was already too late. His eyes were dull, many new scars were present, his lips were chapped and he was in a constant daze. When they had tried getting him out of the cell, he had started shivering violently and had curled up into a ball, muttering incoherent words over and over again. They had barely escaped as he had given away their position by screaming. Luckily Toothless had just grabbed his rider and bolted into the skies, releasing a huge plasma blast which allowed Valka and Hannah to escape with their dragons.

After that ordeal, he had locked hinself in his hut for a week, before he finally came out, but he was never the same since. He was more brutal. He would never give second chances to the dragon hunters. He just killed any one sight. Yes, killed. Hiccup, who always believed that he could change people's minds with his persuasion skills, now kills people without a second thought if they dare to harm dragons or anyone close to him. Hannah had heard that when he was tortured, the hunters would bring in some dragons and slowly torture them and kill them in front of Hiccup. This would explain his brutal actions.

"It's alright Hiccup, we are here. No one will hurt you." Valka soothed the boy.

"N-no. T-they t-tortured and k-killed them in front of me. I-I couldn't do a-anything. I-I felt so h-helpless." Hiccup continued crying in his mother's arms, burying his face deeper into his embrace. Hannah wanted to console her brother, but she didn't know how.

"Hannah, guard the Edge and alert us if anything is coming at us." Hannah nodded and started patrolling the Edge. She put the night terrors on guard and asked the other dragons to stay alert, and to send a distress signal if anything bad happened.

Meanwhile, Toothless had just rested his head on Hiccup's bed next to him, crooning sadly. Hiccup was still lost in his own mind and didn't seem like he would recover very soon. Valka continued hugging her son and soothing him.

"Toothless, Cloudjumper, go patrol the island with Hannah. Now." She added in case they protested. Toothless grumbled but flew away with Cloudjumper reluctantly, looking back at his rider one more time before focusing on the island. Nothing seemed to be threatening the Edge to far, so all was good. He landed in the clubhouse, where Hannah and Crystal were already sitting at.

"So, is Hiccup alright?" Hannah asked as she tossed a few fish to Toothless and Cloudjumper. They chomped it us in a flash.

"No. He's still trapped. And it doesn't seem like it'll get any better." Toothless said sadly. Crystal came over to him and rubbed her head on his side. He smiled slightly and licked her nose. She blushed and licked his nose too. Hannah made a gagging noise and Cloudjumper grunted in disgust.

"Ew, get a room!" Both shouted at the couple simultaneously. Toothless rolled his eyes and motioned for Crystal to follow him.

"Well, guess it's just you and me now, Cloudjumper. They're probably somewhere making babies." Hannah and Cloudjumper both burst out laughing loudly.

"Let's go do patrol while the alpha gets all cosy with his mate." Again, the two burst out laughing, before taking off together to keep watch on the Edge.

Back in Hiccup's hut, he had stopped crying, but he was still lost in his own mind. He sat there on his bed, hugging his knees to his chest, staring blankly at his bed. Valka walked back with a cup of water and handed it to Hiccup, but he didn't realise it and continued staring at the bed. Valka gently tapped Hiccup on the shoulder, in which he shook his head to snap himself out of his daze, and looked up to his mother, before taking the cup from her and taking a sip.

"You alright now, Hiccup?" His mother asked concernly. Hiccup nodded slightly before he set the cup down next to his bed.

"I think I need more sleep. Can you, stay with me?" He was a bit hesitant to ask this at first, since he is already 21. But hey, even a 21 year old is still a baby in his mother's eyes, and still needs his mother's comfort from time to time. Valka smiled warmly at her son and helped him go to bed.

She stayed by her son's side, knowing that he really needs it, especially now. Even after the war with the dragon hunters had ended, even after the war with Drago ended, the nightmares still continued. Her heart aches everytime she sees her son in distress. She really wants to help him, but she didn't know how. How does someone help another, who is trapped in his own mind? But at least, she knew her presence gave him comfort.

Meanwhile in Hiccup's mind, everything was peaceful, so far. It seemed that having his mother by his side really helped him. Then a vision appeared. He was standing in a dense forest, no one in sight, no village, no settlement. Just forest and more forest. He wandered through the forest, carefully treading over logs and vines that lined the forest floor. Then he saw a figure up ahead. A girl. She wore a blue blouse, with a short brown leather skirt to match, and leggings with a pair of fur boots that reached above her ankle. Her platinum blond hair was tied in a braid she had an axe strapped to her back.

Hiccup slowly walked towards her and she turned around. Forest green eyes meeting crystal blue eyes. Hiccup stared at her and felt his heart skip a beat.

"H-hi." He nervously said. The girl said nothing. He shuffled around in his spot.

"Hiccup." The girl finally said a word.

"Do I, do I know you?" He was puzzled. How did this girl, whom he has never met before, know his name?

"No. But you did." What was she talking about?

"Remember, Hiccup. Remember. We will meet again." Then she started walking away.

"Wait!" Hiccup cried after her and ran, but he seemed to be running at the same spot, never moving, until his surroundings collasped and became darkness. Fragments of memories of a very nice place by a lake flashed in his mind. A pitch black dragon with emerald green eyes was seen with a boy training it. Then everything turned black.

Hiccup woke up to find that his mother was no longer there. He must have been sleeping for a long time. He closed his eyes as he thought about the dream he had earlier on. It didn't feel like a dream, but it felt so distant. He tried to recall the details of the girl, but he couldn't remember how she looked like. He only knew that she had platinum blond plaited hair, was wearing a blue blouse, and had an axe with her. He also couldn't recall anything about the place where the night fury was training with the boy either.

He sighed inwardly as he got up to greet the world, but a question lingered in his mind for the whole day.

Who am I?

word count : 1,445

Thanks for reading >.< I never thought people would read my book haha. Anyways, if there's grammatical errors I am truly sorry because my english is not the best.

Thanks for reading and bye ^_^ I'll try to update soon \^O^/