[16] The Mate Bond

Start from the beginning

The pair of red clothes from the first day was there inside, neatly folded beside Karam's breeches.

I sighed heavily and rubbed my forearm. The room was turning colder or maybe, it was because of my wet hair.

Taking the fresh clothes, I walked towards the bed only to jump in fright.

There he was standing, on the other side of the bed, our visions being blurred by the white curtain falling from the canopy.

The heart in me started beating hard in nervousness.

He was standing with his arms crossed, flexing those muscles under that cream shirt.

"Where were you?"

I blinked and gulped hard. "To meet my friend," I said, quietly, not being able to meet his eyes.

"To dip in the freezing cold water that your body cannot afford?" He asked while stepping ahead towards his right as if he was coming closer to me. Though, he stopped near the wooden fence of the bed. "What was so important to talk?"

His deep voice was sounding deadly calm. While mine was lost inside my throat.

"I won't repeat my questions." He said while stepping ahead, making me flinch and step back. He noticed it and narrowed his eyes.

Blinking, I tried to think of Chelsea's words. I had keep myself calm and avoid being scared. I had to fool these Lycans.

"Do you ever tell me your whereabouts?" I asked, stepping ahead leftwards to face him. Our hands rested on the fence of the bed while he observed the candle in my left hand. "You never tell me where you go. Neither I ask you. Nor I want to know. I give you space. Privacy."

"I was born here. Grew up here," he said, giving me the dead eye. He had made half bun today. Some flicks were also falling on his forehead and face. He must have done some labour work, I thought. "I know each and every corner of this land. But you don't. You could get lost."

I blinked while lowering my eyes. "I would have asked my way to here."

"Quiet!" He said loudly, making me flinch. Stepping ahead, he snatched the candle from my hand and threw it away. Taking my left hand with his right one, he removed the warm wax from my knuckles. "Too cold to not feel the burning wax."

I blinked while his hand reached for my chin, raising my head so our eyes could meet.

He had a blank face on. "You cried," he said, calmly.

"I got emotional, seeing my friend."

He raised his eyebrows and leaned closer. "You cried for longer."

I clenched my jaws in frustration. "I have been crying often these days," I said, taunting the hell out of him. "So many reasons."

And he was the biggest one.

His jaw ticked and he blinked. Leaning closer, he cupped my cheek against my comfort.

My eyes squeezed shut when his breath fanned my mouth and he whispered, "If my human mate ever gets lost in this enchanted land of Lycans, all she has to do is call me by name out to the surroundings."

My eyes opened and I observed his amber ones in the faint candle light in the room.

"My mate not need to be afraid of being lost. Of being alone."

"She isn't afraid of anything," I said, grabbing his wrist and removing it slowly. He straightened up slowly and started giving me fake amazed looks. "She is just cold. Now, leave her way so she can bathe."