She froze. War felt his stomach-churning. Did he say the wrong thing? He should have kept his mouth shut. When did it ever pay off telling someone his feelings? "I am?" She sniffled, giving him a wary look. "You don't act like it, War. I like being your mate...but you don't act like you enjoy having one."

How could he? He held her hand at night, he let her get in the shower first, he sat with her while she read and he watched her constantly when he was available to do so. "Why are you thinking like this?"

"You haven't let me out or introduced me to anyone in the pack. I don't understand why. The last time I asked you was yesterday morning and you...you seemed really upset about it."

Of course. Why was he such an idiot? He had been holding her captive in the house. Her wolf must have been itching to shift by now... "I'm sorry, your wolf must be upset." She averted her gaze. He had to address the other issue too... "And my pack members aren't good people. You wouldn't like them."

"War, boy you need to be better with your damn words." Sensing another male near, he grabbed his mate by the hips and pressed her closer to his body. A gasp left her lips and her thin fingers immediately went to the back of his hand, rubbing them soothingly. Gods, he loved when her fingers would glide over his skin. It was so soothing.

It was Alpha of course, a smug look on his face. "Oh I didn't know you could hear us, Alpha Khan."

"We're werewolves sweetheart. Now I have to say what you said hurt me a bit, War. Bad people? We aren't bad people, Pomelia. Sure some of us are outcasts, exiled from our home packs, ostracized from the religious community for our way of life but bad? That's a stretch wouldn't you say?" He could hear Pomelia's heart beat increase. His hand pressed more into her soft flesh, glaring at Alpha Khan. Why did he have to interrupt their conversation?

War shrugged. "It's my opinion."

"I'm sure War didn't mean it that way. Alpha Khan can we be excused?" Pomelia questioned as War's wolf decided to snarl out loud. He thought he was doing a pretty good job at suppressing it but unfortunately not.

That seemed to fuel Khan's fire. "Of course. War you know what you have to talk to her about." Yeah, War knew what he had to talk to her about and his entire body tensed up about it. His mate was so fragile...this was surely going to break her.

Without saying anything else, War drug Pomelia away from the kitchen and into the second living room in the house. Once they were both seated comfortably, his mate placed her hand on his bicep. "War, you don't have to be scared to tell me anything. I-I have something to tell you too actually." What did she have to tell him? Whatever it was, she was becoming extremely fidgety.

"Hey, my favorite awkward little couple. You guys coming to the bonfire?!"

Glancing at the doorway, he internally rolled his eyes upon seeing Jess. She was in a bikini top and a pair of shorts. War's eyes trailed over the hickeys peppering her neck, stomach and even at her thighs... he wondered how Pomelia's skin would look in that light. All flushed and puckered from his mouth marking her sweet flesh. Of course, he did see a mark or two on her neck that was still present from the day before but that was it.

"There's a fire?" Pomelia questioned as War felt a smile tug on his lips. He really enjoyed his mate...when she wasn't avoiding him and smiling of course.

Jess chuckled. "No, no it's like a big fire pit where we drink and play games and just I don't know fuck around." War could see Pomelia's eyes on him, wondering what his decision was going to be. If he said no then she really would think that War didn't appreciate or even like her.

"We'll come for a little bit."

Pomelia broke out into a full-fledged smile, making him feel great about his decision momentarily. "I get to meet your pack," she smiled, squeezing his arm a bit tighter.