Chapter 18: Falling

A few days went by without much trouble. Kion and Rani lived a happy life. The didn't do much with their days, except for watching Cheka and Uon play around the Tree of Life together and enjoying the weather. Dark clouds got in sight. "Bad weather is coming." Kion said. Rani nodded in response, looking at the clouds. "I think we should get Cheka and Uon into the Tree of Life. They could get sick in the rain." Kion suggested. "I think they can stay outside, as long as it doesn't start raining." Kion and Rani stayed at their spot, and after a few minutes Kion fell asleep. When it started raining Rani got the boy and girl safe inside the tree, after which she dragged Kion in too.

It was late at night, as Kion woke up inside the Tree of Life. Rani was still asleep. Kion looked around, and noticed that two were missing. He couldn't see his cubs. He nudged Rani awake. Rani groaned as she woke up. "Cheka and Uon are missing." he said worried. Kion walked out of the Tree of Life. He started searching for the missing cubs, when he suddenly heard a scream. Kion could easily recognise the voice the scream was Uon his voice.

Uon was holding onto a tree branch, looking up to his brother. "Cheka, Help me!" he yelled! Uon was terrified. Cheka tried to hang over the edge, with his leg stretched out so his paw might reach Uon, but it wasn't long enough, and the distance in between the two would only keep growing as Uon was losing grip on the tree branch more every second. Uon let out another terrified scream. "Cheka, you have to help me now! I can't hold on much longer!"

Kion saw everything happening from some distance. "I'm coming Uon!" he called out for his daughter.

Cheka tried to reach out for Uon with his paw a little bit further. His other front paw slided away, which made him lose grip. Cheka fell over the edge, and while falling down he landed on Uon her head, which made her lose grip on the tree branch she was holding. Both cubs fell down towards their death, and landed right in front of Kion, who just arrived at the scene.

Kion shot awake, breathing heavily. He looked around as he saw his son and daughter sleeping peacefully next to each other. He sighed, even though his heart was still racing from the events he experienced in his dream. Next to him Rani had woken up because of it. "Did you have another nightmare?" she asked. Kion didn't answer the question with words. Instead he answered it with actions, as he burst into tears as he ran away.

The nightmare had been repeating in Kion his head over and over again. He walked towards the spot everything had happened at in his head. Once he reached the exact place he stood at as his son and daughter hit the ground he got silenced. His breathing slowed down, as he laid down. "I can't do it." he said to himself. "These nightmares keep haunting me in my sleep, and I can't hide it any longer. Scar has won. I just can't stand it any longer. He walked back towards the Tree of Life.

Once Kion entered the Tree of Life he noticed that Rani was sleeping again. Kion walked over towards his son and daughter, nudging them awake. "Dad?" Cheka asked, which was followed up by Uon asking a question. "Why did you wake us up so early?" They both looked at their dad, wondering why he was waking them up in the middle of the night. "I just wanted to tell you both that..." Kion had a tear going down his cheeks. "I just wanted to tell you both that daddy loves you." Cheka rolled his eyes. "We know that dad, you tell us that all the time." Uon on the other hand noticed that something was off. "Dad, why are you crying?" she asked. "I don't know if I can stay here any longer. I've been having a lot of mental problems before you both were born. I was almost leaving the Tree of Life, but then you both were born. It was the happiest day of my whole life, and I'm happy that I have decided to stay these past few days. But all the problems that I've been having are coming back, and you don't understand it, but if I stay I might risk hurting you, and I don't want to, so I have decided it is better for me to leave. Cheka and Uon started sobbing. "Don't leave us dad, we love you." Kion started sobbing harder too. "And daddy loves you both too, but this is for your own good." Kion said. "Now go back to sleep, you both will understand someday." Both cubs went back to sleep, as Kion nuzzled Rani one last time. "I'm really sorry Rani, but it can't go on like this.

The morning came at the Tree of Life, and Rani woke up. She felt that something was missing, and when she looked next to her, she noticed that Kion was not next to her. That day she looked around the whole land, trying to find him, but with no success. At the end of the day she asked the twins if they had seen him. They couldn't lie to their own mother, so they told the truth about what happened the night before. That night Rani cried herself to sleep, knowing that she might not see Kion ever again.