• nove •

"How has the stay in our palace been so far?" the Western king asked Chanyeol as the two princes and the royal couple were having dinner togeher. Chanyeol had managed to avoid it for almost two weeks, since sharing uncomfortable silence with Baekhyun during the day was just about enough for him. However, the king insisted he attended the dinner that evening, having all of his scheduled classes cancelled.

"I couldn't have asked for a warmer welcome, Your Majesty." he smiled politely. "Everyone has been kind to me and all my teachers are remarkable."

"I am pleased to hear so." the king smiled back. Chanyeol liked the king: he was well-known in the four kingdoms and further as a lawful ruler and a kind person; althought Chanyeol could tell he was a strict parent. Baekhyun seemed to be close with his parents, but he wasn't in any way spared of his duties as their only child and heir. The king made sure he stayed inside the bounds.

"I hope our son doesn't distract you too much." the queen said with a soft laugh. "He can be too bouyant sometimes."

Chanyeol had a hard time swallowing the lump in his throat that came with those words. He glanced over at Baekhyun, who hadn't uttered a word since the dinner started. He ate his food calmly, always looking at his own plate and hot even budging at the queen's words.

"He has been nothing but a supporting friend to me, Your Majesty. I appreciate his company very much."

It was then when Baekhyun raised his head, his piercing gaze directed at Chanyeol. It was a puzzling look that Chanyeol couldn't quite put his finger on, but he knew it meant nothing positive. If nothing else, it transmitted uneasiness and awkwardness they felt all the time anyway.

"I made sure Chanyeol-ssi feels like a part of the family, mother." Baekhyun smiled in the queen's direction.

Chanyeol was probably the only one to recognize the irony in his words, and the formal honorific Baekhyun used put things into perspective for Chanyeol. Baekhyun was starting to feel bitter. Chayeol's rejection was one thing, but losing their friendship was something that Chanyeol regretted more, and as he could tell so did Baekhyun. There was almost no way to go back to what they were and they both knew it, despite their suppressed feelings.

"How are your classes coming along, Baekhyun? I've heard from Kyungsik-ssi that you're struggling with battle strategy." the king asked.

"Yes, but don't worry. We went over it today once again and I understand it better now."

"Good. Pay more attention to it, I see you are wasting your time riding and hanging around with Jongdae. You know what your duties are."

"Yes, Your Majesty." Baekhyun obeyed. He knew when to pull back. It was a good virtue to have in their position. Chanyeol had seen Baekhyun through all his emotions: anger, fury, passion or sadness- his spirit was shaped by fierceness, and Chanyeol sometimes though that maybe Baekhyun would've been happier as a low-born, as a nobody in a village in the mountains, free to do what he wanted, love whom he wanted, live as he wanted. But the reality was cruel to him, to both of them, as they were born into fake luxury, into a life that was everyone's more then theirs.

"How is the preparation for Your birthday celebration going, Your Highness?" Chanyeol asked to break the uncomfortable silence that filled the room after Baekhyun's brief conversation with the king.

"Oh, wonderfully. I've heard from your father this morning, your family is going to attend as well." the king sipped on his wine. It was the king's fiftieth birthday the next day, which meant a huge celebration with the most important guests from their own and other kingdoms.