CHAPTER 12: Girlfriend

"Twenty-nine, thirty, thirty-one, thirty-two, thirty-three, thirty-four!" Hannah exclaimed. It was a day before the end of the month and she kinda made it a tradition to count the cases she had closed for the whole month. This month, she had 34 arrests, four arrests more than her estimate. She was proud.

As a reward, she went to the pastry shop outside their building and bought herself a cupcake.

She was heading back to the office when she saw Salazar's car pull up in the driveway. "How's it going, detective? You're kinda late."

"Sup?" Salazar replied. "Yeah, I had matters to attend to at home." She smiled and noticed Hannah's cupcake. "What's that for, this early?"

"Oh, this?" Hannah replied, looking at her cupcake. "It's a reward."

"A reward?"

"Yes. For Closing four cases more than what I estimated." Hannah said proudly which made Salazar chuckle at her cute moment. "You want some? I could go back and get you one." Hannah suggested.

"Nah. I'm good. Shall we head on?" Salazar asked her with a wide smile.

"Yeah, we should." Hannah returned her smile.

"Ah, detectives. Just in time." Captain Romero greeted them as they entered the precinct. "I have an announcement to make."

Hannah and Salazar both made their way to their desks.

"I want to invite you detectives to a party at my house tonight, wear your party get up, you can bring your dates." The Captain announced to Hannah, Salazar and two other detectives, Jonas and Julia.

"Party? What for?" Jonas asked.

"That's for you to find out." The Captain replied with a small laugh and headed back to his office.

"Huh? What was that?" Hannah asked confused.

"It's his birthday." Salazar uttered.

"How'd you know?" Julia asked.

"Because he has a new watch."

"You assumed it's his birthday because he has a new watch?" Hannah couldn't believe it.

"Yes. You can't just receive a Piaget Emperador Cushion Tourbillon by chance. It has to be on a big occasion. Like an anniversary, or a birthday. And since Captain Romero and his wife already celebrated their anniversary last month, it has to be his birthday." Salazar analyzed which left the other detectives' mouths almost hanging in mid-air.

"Wow. You're good." Hannah can't help but praise Salazar, which sent the latter to chuckle as response.

"What should we give him?" Jonas asked when he recovered.

"Let's just bring him some wine or something like that." Julia suggested.

"Cool. That's a good idea." Hannah replied and they all went back to their desks to do their paper works, waiting for the day to end.

Her shift had finally ended and Hannah and her fellow detectives bid their goodbyes and each went their separate ways to prepare for the Captain's party later that night.

It was past dinner time and Hannah had her dinner. Now, she was in her condominium unit scavenging for clothes to wear. She found a sparkly gold dress and decided to wear it for the party. She applied her smoky makeup to accentuate the dress she was wearing, and wore her gold 5-inch heels. She tied her hair into a ponytail to emphasize her face. She looked at the mirror and smiled at the result. 'You look beautiful.' She said to herself, as she got her purse from the table and straightly went to her car to drive to the nearest wine and liquor store.