"You need to leave," I state firmly. "You said it yourself, you needed space. There's nothing here for you anymore, right? So go back to your new family and leave mine alone."

Dad smirks and brings one hand up to his face, rubbing his jaw. I narrow my eyes, wondering what the fuck he's up to

RJ's gruff voice suddenly rings out behind me. I turn, seeing him, Sidney, and Anthony standing behind me like bodyguards. "She told you to leave. If you're not a paying customer, you can get the hell out and stop harassing my employees."

Dad shakes his head as if he's amused and promptly drops his hand, reaching behind his back and pulling a folded manila envelope from the back pocket of his jeans in one fell swoop.

"I will," he says, still wearing a grimy smirk. He carelessly drops the envelope on the counter between us and it lands with a definite plop. "If you make sure your mom signs these."

I close my eyes, dread curdling in my gut. I already know what they are. If dad's departure alone sent mom into a six month spiral of alcohol and drug abuse, then what the fuck would the divorce papers do?

Mom wanted dad back, but he didn't want her. Knowing that he wanted to finalize a divorce would crush her. He'd threateningly sent a copy of them before a month after he first left, but he never followed through with it. I guess now he is.

Masking my dread, I calmly ask, "Aren't you supposed to get a divorce before knocking up a woman twenty years younger than you?"

Dad exhales sharply, his nostrils flaring in anger. He shakes his head again. "Make sure she gets those. The forwarding address to my lawyer's office is at the top. After she signs it, consider this as me finally wiping my hands clean. Tell her to make it quick. I want nothing to do with her anymore, and I don't want to drag this out any longer than I have to."

He pauses, hesitating. And then, he decides to go for the final punch. "Like you said, I have a family to get back to."

Rage, embarrassment, and sadness build up in my throat, making it hard to breathe. His words are the final blow.

RJ steps forward. "Get out before I drag you out, boy," he warns.

Dad sears me with a piercing look, silently telling me You know what to do, before turning on his heel and walking away. The glass door swings behind him, and his departure feels like one of the most defining moments in my life. He didn't just walk out of the diner.

"Aria," Sidney murmurs. I flinch when her hand gently touches my shoulder.

I clear my throat. "I'm good," I tell her.

"Let Sidney take your tables, Aria. Why don't you go home and get some rest?" RJ says, rather than asks.

I look over at Sidney and she nods, squeezing my shoulder. "Okay," I breathe out. I turn to RJ, too embarrassed to look him in the eyes. When I speak, I'm talking more so to his flannel-covered chest, staring intently at the black suspenders he wears. "I'm so sorry for... that. It won't happen again."

The gruff man shakes his head. "You have no reason to apologize. I'll let the staff know not to let him back in if they see him."

My heart swells and tears prick my eyes. They threaten to fall when, "You've been here a long time now, Aria. You're family, ya hear?"