ten | left behind

"Will's back," Penny told me, as we walked down the hall. Vijay made a cutting motion across his neck and shook his head. His arm was snaked around my shoulders and I was looking at the ground.

Penny walked in on our.. situation to bring us back to her Jupiter. Important news. Not a very good one, I'm gonna guess.

"Is your mom onboard?" She asked Vijay.

"Yeah, but she's with the logistical team again," He replied, "Why?"

She ignored his question, "And your dad?"

"Down on the planet."

She nodded slowly, and led us onto the Jupiter 30. Everyone was there. The Robinsons minus Will, Naoko Watanabe, Angela, and the Azevedos.

Vijay led me to sit down at the hub center with everyone else, and stood close beside me- letting me hold onto his arm.

They went on to say that the Resolute was almost ready to leave. Which was good. But, we would be leaving with only those onboard. And all transportation was cut off hours ago.

"My dad is still down there," Vijay said in shock, "Everyone is still down there". I looked up at him, he looked very very worried. He was.

I gripped his arm tighter, pressing my cheek against it. He looked down at me and whispered, "Calm down, it's.. gonna be okay".

He was obviously uncertain.

"Even if we could get everyone back on the ship, we don't have enough oxygen to support them," Judy sighed.

I didn't understand. I didn't understand how this went from Victor convincing myself father to look into this program, to getting in and being on our way to a new planet, and to failing to get to Alpha Centauri. Once, and what it looks to be twice.

"The water we brought up from the planet is contaminated," Mr. Robinson said, "If we run it through the OGS systems to make breathable air, it'll rot out the pipes."

"The Resolute would literally dissolve from the inside out.." I finished for him, "And no one gets to Alpha Centauri".

Everyone looked at me for a second, their eyes bouncing from me to Vijay.

"Speaking from personal experience, that would not be awesome," Penny added.

Vijay nodded in agreement.

"There must be some way to decontaminate the water," said Ms. Robinson.

"There is.. but it's would take a year to collect the amount of ammonia gas we would need," Angela answered.

"There's no way Hastings and his team will wait around for that," Mr. Robinson added.

Ms. Robinson stepped out to collect her thoughts. Everyone went silent for a few minutes. Naoko nodded and left, Angela close behind.

"So.." Penny began, filling the silence.

"Did you see Will, Cassidy?" Judy asked, "Back in the water planet, he would talk about you a lot".

I looked at Vijay, who was just as surprised as I was. Mr. Robinson went to check on Ms. Robinson.

"Cassidy and Robot," Penny added, "'I can't wait to tell Cassidy and Robot'".

"He said that?" I asked.

Judy smiled softly and nodded, "He had his camera out, and was already reciting things that he'd tell you when we got here".

"That's what you did," Vijay said to me.

I nodded. The smile growing on my face quickly faded, and I frowned.

"His priorities shifted," I said solemnly, "I'd love to hear those stories, maybe when he'd like to hear mine too". I stood up, and began to walk out.

Vijay stared at me, and looked to the girls. He sighed at their confused looks. They exchanged mouthed words, quickly.

I stopped in the doorway and turned, I held my hand out and he walked over. He didn't take my hand, but he followed me out.

"Maybe you should listen to them," He told me.

"Maybe," I muttered.

Vijay sighed.

"I want chips," I said, trying to change the subject.

"Okay," Vijay pursed his lips momentarily, "Lets go get chips then".

∘₊✧✩✧₊∘

Vijay placed a bowl in front of me, filled to the brim with potato chips. He popped one in his mouth. I stared at it, lost in thought.

"Not gonna spoon feed you," He joked.

I looked up at him, "Why aren't we helping them?"

Vijay continued to eat, "I don't think we should get involved with whatever the Robinsons are doing at the moment. And there's nothing we can do. Eat your chips".

"I don't wanna leave your dad behind," I said, I took a singular chip and bit into it. I picked up his tablet from the table.

Vijay thought for a second, "Me either."

"Mutiny, an open rebellion against the proper authorities," I read off the tablet.

Vijay pulled it away, "If they needed us, we'd be there."

"My apologies, wish I could be there," Victor said, Prisha held up the phone to me. Vijay held my hand, asking his dad where he was.

"Working, as always," He replied.

"I wanna see!" I exclaimed.

"Me too!" Vijay chimes in.

"No, no, not today," Victor told us. We frowned. I held up a balloon dog, part of it was popped but it held onto life somehow.

"That's very nice, Cassidy. I like pink," He smiled, but it faded as he looked away for a second, "I have to go, alright? I just wanted to say Happy 5th Birthday, Cassidy. I'll see you soon".