eight | the fear within

Vijay, here. Cassidy thought it would be better if I told this part of the story for her. Since I experienced the crazy part. Yeah. Crazy. She'll be back by the next chapter, I promise.

∘₊✧✩✧₊∘

"How'd yesterday go with Will?" I asked Cassidy, we walked down the eerily empty hallway. She didn't answer, staring ahead at the end of the hall. I waved my hand in front her of her face and she pushed it away, to my surprise.

"Fine." She muttered.

My brows furrowed. She was lying. This wasn't normal, Cassidy didn't get into that. No matter who it was, she didn't like it when people lied- therefore she never did it either. And in this case, we never lied to each other anyway- we had no reason to, we told each other everything.

I stopped her, "And what'd you guys do?"

"Talk. Like normal people, Vijay," She was obviously getting annoyed and worked-up. Her face was beginning to turn red.

"About?"

"We hadn't seen each other in seven months," She replied, "There was plenty to talk about. And.. I- I showed him our videos. And he told me about.. uhm- the things they did."

I raised an eyebrow at her, "And how long are you gonna keep lying to me?"

She pushed me away and tried to keep walking, "We're gonna be late to class".

I grabbed her, and pulled her back. I pulled her hair behind her, now, burning red ears. And I bent down to her height, trying to make eye contact- but she looked away.

"What happened?" I asked softly.

She shrugged, "I saw Will."

She sighed before continuing, "A-And it didn't go quite as planned. But, I saw him. So, it's okay."

"When things go okay," I said, "Do people lie about it?"

She huffed as I put my backpack on the floor, pulling out a water bottle. I handed it to her and she immediately took a sip.

Some people become best friends with their little sister. Not many do, but I doubt that their best friends become their little sisters.

Although, that's metaphorically speaking. My parents haven't exactly decided what they'll do with her, but she's staying with us. Legally or not, she's family.

She handed the water bottle to me, and I set it beside me.

She opened her mouth to speak and stammered a bunch, before finally saying: "I-I saw him. And we barely talked. Actually.. we didn't talk at all for the majority of our time together."

I thought she meant something much less.. twelve-year-old friendly. And I bit my lip, wondering how I would even add onto that.

"Why is that?"

"We.. uh, trespassed. On the Jupiter 2, to see whatever business was going on there," She said quickly. I stopped myself from smiling. Cassidy Vale was indeed a goody-two-shoes, but I don't think that's the reason why it bothered her so much.