six | dark

"Lights out," My father opened the door just enough to squeeze through and went to flip the light switch.

   "No!" I exclaimed. I looked to Vijay, who was on the floor, already asleep.

   "Vijay's here," My father reassured me, "He'll protect you. There's nothing to be afraid of."

   "I think this might be what I've been so afraid of.." I whispered to Vijay, staring up at the beasts above us.

   "Shut up and keep working," Penny joked from nearby. Vijay gave her a look, but when they made eye contact he quickly looked away.

   "She's right, Cassidy," Vijay said, "Just keep going."

   I knelt and held the bucket beneath Vijay's chisel momentarily. Before I picked up my own chisel and began to do it on my own, although my hands were shaky. Very shaky.

   I nearly dropped my chisel. Although, I think my gasp was louder than the sound of my tools smacking together and hitting the palms of my hands.

   The people around me stared at me and slowly we all looked up in unison. I glanced at Victor, his eyes burning into me- even from across the cave.

   Vijay nodded to me, "You got this. We got this."

   I nodded in agreement and picked up Vijay's bucket, making my way towards the exit.

   I jumped as the silence was interrupted with a ear-piercing beeping noise. The creatures. They woke up. I looked to Vijay, who was ushering me away from afar. I was going to wait for him to catch up, but Will grabbed my hand and pulled me away as he ran past.

   The radio slung around his shoulder.. It was the one that made the noise.

   I fell when he ran faster than I could, right outside the cave. I watched the things fly over our heads as people ran out frantically.

   "Is everybody out?" Victor asked the crowd.

   "Penny!" Will shouted with wide eyes.

   "Where's Vijay?" Prisha asked me, helping me off the ground.

   I shook my head, "I-I-I don't know.."

   We waited, hearing the screech of the creatures from outside. I stood beside Will who beeped rapidly on his radio. I glanced at him, but he stayed focused on the radio.

   "What are you doing?" I asked, annoyed. I wondered how he could be more concerned about the radio rather than the people still inside the cave.

   "Trying to contact my dad," He answered, unbothered by my tone.

   "What?" I looked away, for he didn't answer. I stared at the cave for a minute. Then two.

   Will muttered things under his breath as the radio beeped and beeped. It blared through my ears and I fought off the temptation to yell at Will. That's mean, so I didn't.

   It felt like hours as the beasts continued to screech, and there was no sign of the survivors inside. And I feared..

   I feared that I'd have another person watching from above, rather than from beside me. I feared I'd be alone again.

   I don't know how long it had been, but Vijay, Penny, and the others had come out of the cave.

   Many of us ran towards them, me being in front.

   I wrapped my arms around Vijay, as his parents came behind us. Vijay rested his chin on the top of my head, taking a sigh of relief.

   He grunted as I squeezed his waist too tightly, but didn't stop me.

✧✩✧

"Ready?" Vijay walked up to me, fully dressed in his suit. He brushed my hair from my face as I looked towards the ground, nodding slowly.

   "The Robinsons.."

   "Will and Penny are on the Jupiter 11," He reminded me, "And the rest of them can catch up with us all later".

   "I don't wanna see him," I said as he walked me to the hub.

   "Who?"

   "Daddy," I answered. He frowned, biting his lip.

   "You won't have to, okay?" He tried to get me to sit down. I stayed standing, somehow, after pushing away.

   "We have to go," A tall, red-headed man poked his head into the hub before walking back towards the cockpit.

   "I don't wanna go back, Vijay," I said urgently, starting to cry, "Please don't make me go back".

   "It's gonna be okay," Vijay said softly, his voice cracked. I continued to cry even more. He pushed me into my seat and buckled me in, as I tried to fight back.

   "It's gonna be okay, I promise, Cassidy," He whispered to me.

   His father straightened his posture and staring at us, "It's time."

   "I'm sorry, we have to go now," He placed at kiss on the top of my head, wiping away my tears and forcing a helmet onto my head.

   I closed my eyes and leaned back into my chair, sobbing.

   "Don't make me go.. please. Vijay, please don't make me go.." I muttered, still crying.

   "I don't want you to leave!" I exclaimed sadly, wrapping my arms around Vijay. Freshly thirteen, and in the midst of his "I'm a teenager now" phase.

   He pat my head uncomfortably, "I'll come back soon.."

   "I'm gonna miss you!"

   He chuckled nervously, "Yeah, I'll miss you too, Cas".

   My father pried me off of him. And I sadly watched him walk away.

   He'd never do that now. I thought to myself, as tears streamed down my cheeks and the Jupiter shook. He would never.