F O R T Y O N E

It had been weeks and I am making a slight progress. That slight progress was probably from I, gaining a huge trust from King Devilon, which meant he would believe everything that I said. On that night, the night when Rosemary and I had our first talk here, I committed such a sin. Not only did I kissed King Devilon, I kissed him without any feelings in hope that he would fall for my trap. Every single night, at around midnight, Rosemary would come up here to meet me. I don't know where she temporarily stayed, since she won't tell me.

"I know someday, they will try to find me so it is better if I kept my place a secret." she once told me.

Here I am, standing here in this astonishing lacy black gown, getting ready to join the masquerade ball that was held tonight. It had been a long time since I had last joined and I am clearly not looking forward to this since it brought back too much memories, painful memories.

The smell of delicious and sweet feast invaded my nostrils as I made my way inside the huge hall. Everyone was prominently-dressed. From what I saw, no outsiders present here, only the people in this kingdom were present. I am not surprised.

Suddenly, a tray of wine-filled glass, came to my view.

"No. Thank you." I am not in the mood to drink right now. I have many plans tonight.

"Take it."

The familiar voice rang my ears causing my eyes to looked over, and was met with a pair of brown eyes that belonged to Rosemary. A slight gasp escaped my lips but I quickly hid it with a blank expression.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered, clearly not wanting anyone to hear other than the both of us.

She lend me her signature mischievous smile and did a slight curtsy, "Don't worry, no one noticed."

"what if they do?" I asked.

"then say I am new here." she rolled her eyes.

"they don't take new people here, Rosemary." I explained to her.

"well....you need to stop worrying." she passed me a glass of wine, " I've been doing this my whole life."

She was right, I supposed. After giving me another glance, she walked away and disappeared into the crowds. I don't know what Rosemary is planning to do tonight and I am glad I don't. Through the crowd, instantly, a pair of silver eyes caught mine. I would not say it was a coincidence because I, had been looking for him, but to him, it might be one. It seemed as if he wasn't paying attention to his so-called mother, Queen Alizarin, since his eyes were on mine. The evil queen didn't seem to notice though since she was too absorbed at what she was talking about. It would probably made me look desperate if I were to stand there staring at him, so I adverted my eyes away, an action to keep me busy, at least.

Surrounding me were hundreds of powerful people, authorities radiated off them, intimidatingly. Everyone hid mysteriously behind their masks, I, myself, wore one too. The crystal chandeliars dangled brightly from the ceiling, shone onto every peeking eyes in the massive room. Music played softly in the background, hoping to lower down the gloomy atmosphere that was floating hastely around the room.

"May I?" I looked over to see the once dead silver eyes stared into mine with so much glimpse of hope.

When his eyes landed on me, his gaze travelled up until his eyes met mine, his lips curled up into a smile, a genuine smile. I couldn't help but to smile back. He walked towards me with the aura he had, powerful and yet confident. Once we are close enough, he bend down slightly and laid his palm out, with just a few words, I melted under his words, "Would you offer me this dance?"

I laid my hand into his large palm and gave him a very elegant curtsy.

I laid my delicate hand on his and did a very elegance curtsy that I haven't do for a while, a long while.

He lead me into the dance floor.

Claps and cheers echoed through the room, he lead me to the dance floor and started twirling me around slowly before he captured me with his warm hands. My small delicate hands placed on top of his shoulder while his strong and warm hands went around my small waist. We dance slowly to the song and our eyes locked. It wasn't anything that is special but it was the melody we dance to in our own world. To the song, we dance slowly and we both never give anyone a second glance, just us two, dancing and staring. We danced as if we aren't rivals, as if we doesn't fight, as if we doesn't lie, as if we doesn't care, as if we doesn't screamed and shouted at each other face not too long ago, as if he doesn't kill my loved ones, as if we are complete strangers with sparks and electrifying shivers, as if we were fated, and as if we were in

"Does this remind you of him?"

A voice cut me off my thoughts. I looked up to see pain visible in his pair of silver eyes. We were dancing in the middle of the dance floor, with eyes and ears around the corners. This dance reminded me so much of King Antonio, I couldn't help it. We swayed while staring into each other's eyes. Suddenly, in the midst of dancing, he grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the crowds, which gained quite a few of attentions.

"What are you doing?—"

The wind breezed over us, lessen down the tension. I was mesmerized by the beauty of the scenery: verdant green trees along with sky full of tantalizing stars.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" he wrapped his warm arms around me.

I nodded my head in approval. We were outside on the balcony, just talking and breathing. He turned me around until our nose were inches apart. Butterflies exploded inside my chest and stomach as he leaned in closer until our lips grazed each other. He looked so weak, so lost, so fragile...it was hard to even believe that he was the ruthless king on earth, that he was a monster.

"Magnificent..." I shook under his soft voice.

Please don't say it.

please don't.

It will not make a difference.

I am going to hurt you.

With his thumb caressing my cheek, he whispered, "I think I am slowly—"

"Kill!!!!!!!" screams and cries exploded throughout the whole hall.