S T E V E

❝Am I late?❞
- Carol Danvers

× × ×

It all happened too fast.

I wasn't fast enough to protect her.

One moment, the two of us were greeting the rest of the Avengers; and then the next, one of Wanda's energy balls was coming at her and hit her in the stomach.

I was expecting Natasha to be on the ground because of the impact of the energy ball. She was supposed to be in pain because of the accident with Wanda's powers. She should be injured and we should all be worrying for her state right now.

But we're having none of that.

I could have never braced myself for what happened next.

It was completely silent. No one dared to speak and everyone was rooted to their places as each one of us watched the scene unfold.

Natasha was standing tall—much to my satisfaction, bewilderment etched on her face as she stared at her hand that was now holding Wanda's energy ball. Natasha tentatively closed her hand but when she opened it, the red ball of energy flew across the place until it came hitting a tree, knocking it down.

Even after we heard the slow fall of the tree, no one spoke or moved.

Natasha Romanoff has always been known for being the deadliest Avenger—not because she had superpowers or any special abilities that made her rise above others; she was known for being the deadliest because she excels at everything she learns to do and you just never know if or when she uses her skills against you. She can read you like the back of her hand, manipulate you, and deceive you like no other has ever done but you can never do the same. Mystique was surrounding her from the very beginning and she is dangerous because of it.

But having powers—that wasn't her trademark. She never needed it anyway. Sure, she uses weapons and she gets hurt and she bleeds, but don't we all? She is one of the most human heroes we have in this team but that never mattered. At the end of the day, she always proves herself to be an asset to this team, and she shows everyone that she can reach our level. In the end, she emerges a victor each time—and the fact that she's only human only solidifies how great of a hero she is.

That's why I can't believe how she was just able to absorb Wanda's power and use it.

I looked at her, gauging her reaction to see if she knew of her new abilities, but her expression only told me that she, too, didn't know.

"What's going on?" I asked Strange who I thought would have an idea concerning what's happening.

The doctor glanced at me for a moment before his gaze was completely transfixed on her, "It seems to me that Ms. Romanoff is no longer who we thought she is."

I looked at Natasha again. I made a move to touch her but she immediately backed away, "No! Don't touch me! Don't come any closer," she told me, her voice becoming shaky at the end. I felt something break in me when she stepped way. She didn't want to hurt me. She was afraid she might. "What's happening to me?" she asked Strange as she stared at him.

He was about to reply when Carol landed right in the middle of the backyard. She smirked when she saw me, "Am I late?"

"You're just on time," I said seriously.

Carol noticed that tension was lingering in the air, making her drop her smirk. She took a seat next to Thor who nodded at her as acknowledgement.

"Doc," I said to Strange, urging him to explain to us the situation.