N A T A S H A

❝Is that how you show how much you miss me, Rogers?❞
- Natasha Romanoff

× × ×

"A penny for your thoughts," Clint spoke as he appeared next to me.

I was looking over the lake, thinking of the things I was going to say to Tony, when Clint decided to join me. I'm going to visit Tony's grave tomorrow and I don't know... the thought of seeing his grave was making me feel uncomfortable. Among all of us, I never really thought he would ever sacrifice himself. It wasn't just because he is his egotistical Tony Stark self—he had something to live for, a family. Doing what he had to do when he could've hadn't only proves how big his heart is.

I smiled at Clint, "I was just thinking of what to say to Tony," I said and he nodded. "Steve and Bruce are accompanying me to see him tomorrow. I'd like it if you can come, too."

He smiled at me, "Of course," he stated. "It's good to have you back, Nat. We lost so much and I'm just happy that you're here."

"It's all Steve, Clint," I voice lightly.

"You care about him," he commented after a few silent seconds.

"I do," I admitted to him.

"You love him."

I focused my sight on the water, "Love is for children."

"But you didn't deny it," he smirked.

I looked away and hugged myself. I chuckled bitterly, "Why does it even matter, Barton?" I asked, annoyance showing.

"Because, Nat," he breathed out, facing me. "I want you to be with someone who can take care of you—who loves you."

I glared at him, "I don't need looking out for, Barton."

"You can't be alone forever, Nat."

"That's why I have you, the Avengers," I reasoned with him.

"Nat, it's not the same as having someone who'll be with you every step of the way. Look, I get it. This job, all of us—we're your family. But that doesn't mean this should be your life. You're still human, remember that."

"I can't have that, Clint."

"Why? Because you have red in your ledger?" he asked, his voice incredulous. I remained silent. "Nat, you had red in your ledger. Not anymore. You sacrificed your life for all of this and you're still telling me you didn't wipe all the red off? Bullsh*t!"

"I'm just one soul compared to the rest I've taken."

"Would you stop that? Stop seeing yourself as this monster, Nat. You're not one, okay? You've redeemed yourself. There's no better redemption than what you did."

"Why do you even think he'd see me that way, Clint? Because we've been together through every single thing? That doesn't define what we are!"

"Then what are you?" he asked, looking me straight in the eyes. "Friends? Yeah, I don't think so."

"I never said we were just friends, Clint, I whispered. "But I never said we were anything more, too. He doesn't love me the way I love him. And it's easy to see why."

Clint stopped talking when he heard what I said. And I knew why. It was because he knows I'm right.

"I don't know how Cap feels about you but I know that he doesn't see you as a monster," he said evenly. "He knows you've been before and he loves you for it. Because you've changed, Nat. You proved to the world that you're more than the monster they made you to be. We know that. I know that. And we love you for it."