4. Powers and Princes

I bolted down the deep abyss towards my death. I spread by body out as much as possible in an attempt to reduce my momentum. The difference that this tactic made was minuscule and my speed continued to increase.

I decided to close my eyes. I thought that watching the ground approach me was worse than the surprise split-second splat that would end my journey. As soon as my eyes closed, the mystical energy trapped next to my heart was released and permeated my whole being. The fear of not wanting to die also aided in the unlocking of the power.

With my eyes still closed, I pictured the forest next to the cliff. Almost immediately I could tell that I wasn't falling anymore. Blades of grass squeezed in between my toes and the faint whiff of flowers drained the rest of the panic from my mind.

I opened my eyes slowly and I was standing right in front of the forest. The cliff edge, where I had dropped from, was directly behind me. Without the eminent danger of death looming over me, I figured that the energy would reside back to a locked box near my heart.

After a few moments, I knew that the energy was not receding. I was a new being.

I weighed my options for my next course of action. I could return to the castle and get some sleep, but if my apprehension for the morning returns who knows where I may teleport. Plus I wouldn't even know which way to go to get to the castle.

Ruling that option out, I settled upon the idea to test my new power and possibly explore the unique world around me. Focusing on my pulsing energy, I shifted it through my veins. It converged by the palm of my hand and a circular lattice of glowing light began to take form.

The circle grew, a triangular shape connected to three points on the circle, and a spade design appeared in its core. When it reached the size of a regular trash can lid, a bolt of energy shot out from the spade and bore a hole in one of the trees in the forest. Particles of the magic floated away from my hands like smoke from a fire.

I shot some more energy beams, but directed them away from the forest to prevent any accidental forest fires

I shot some more energy beams, but directed them away from the forest to prevent any accidental forest fires. After learning to control the power and size of the energy beams, I tried to expand the magical lattice instead of shooting out the energy. A force field dome appeared around me as the lattice spread into a thin film and folded into an encapsulating bubble.

Teleportation, force fields, and energy blasts were the only three powers I managed to acquire and master. When I believed that I had a decent grip on controlling my new found abilities, I began to focus on exploring the forest to see what creatures and plant life I could discover.

An array of multicolored plants and critters scattered the forest ground. The whole environment was a kaleidoscope of interesting patterns and colors. It was truly breathtaking.

Never had I seen such incredible sights back on earth. One furry animal caught my attention in particular. It reminded me of a squirrel, but it had a body resembling a lemurs and blueish, purple fluorescent fur that would glow when it scampered out of the moonlight and into the dark shadows.