10 | fast and fieryous

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter ten
FAST AND FIERYOUS
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter tenFAST AND FIERYOUS└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

LENA FINDS PETER OUTSIDE of the hotel. She weaves around the small number of business professionals loitering on the sidewalk and the bellhops pushing luggage carts to and fro, moving as quickly as her long legs can take her, and locates him standing beside a large potted plant next to the grand entrance. As soon as he notices her, he perks up.

"Hey," she greets him, quickly scanning his face for any signs of distress. He's notably calmer than he'd been after Fury's tirade, which makes her relax a fraction. "What's up?"

"I think I found a way to fix everything," he says with a small grin. "Thanks to EDITH, nobody will be near the Carnival of Lights tonight."

Lena wrinkles a brow. "What do you mean?"

"Just come inside," Peter urges, slipping his hand to hers and entwining their fingers. "Mr. Harrington will explain everything."

He pulls her along with him into the hotel's cream-colored lobby. It's busier than it had been when they'd arrived, packed with people preparing to leave for the night's festivities. On the side of the spacious lobby that hosts several plush sofas and armchairs is their Science Trip group. It seems that everyone is already accounted for— even Graham and the twins are taking up an entire couch together due to their long legs. Each student is adorned in neon glow-sticks.

"Lena! Peter!" Mr. Harrington greets them enthusiastically, motioning for them to take a seat. Lena perches on the arm of the Seagers' sofa while Peter plops into the chair beside it, thus releasing his grip on her hand. "You're right on time to hear our news. A few seconds later and you'd be, well, late."

"They were probably too busy canoodling to check the time," Flash jibes as he carelessly types away on his phone. He's slouched in his own chair, a few glow-sticks connected around his neck to create a necklace of mismatched colors. "Santos and Parker sittin' in a tr—"

Before he can finish the song, Cindy reaches over and snatches the phone from his hands and sits on it. Flash releases an outraged cry of, "Hey! My unfinished tweet!" while Cindy catches Lena's eye and gives her a supportive smile.

"Okay, Flash, no more teasing. We're all friends here," Mr. Harrington says in an attempt to bring things back on track. "Anyways, I have some good news. We're going to the opera!"

His "good news" is met with blank stares from every member of the group. Then, a moment later, nearly everyone bursts into a flurry of protests. Flash even momentarily forgets about his phone long enough to chime in with the madness. Owen removes his star-shaped, neon-yellow glasses with a huff and mutters, "That's lame."