15 | let the devil out

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter fifteen
let the devil out
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter fifteenlet the devil out└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

LENA HAD THOUGHT she knew what fear feels like. It turns out she has never felt terror quite like this.

The freezing wind screams past her as she falls, searing through her suit and chilling her to the bone. It's still not as cold as the fear that has her heart pumping erratically in her chest until it feels like it might be bruising her ribs. Her surroundings are mere streaks of color on both sides, but she can still see the open night sky above her as her stomach plummets and then rises in her throat.

Lena thrashes in the corner of her mind she's been trapped in. She has no control over her body, so even though she begs for her energy to expel from her skin and save her, or for her hands to claw at something, anything, as they seek purchase, she remains perfectly still. She has become a puppet whose master is toying with her strings. Maybe the worst part of all is that she can't turn her head to see how long she has until she hits the ground, so she's stuck in a fearful state of prepping for a sudden death that could strike at any moment.

No, that's not the worst part after all, she realizes. It's how Peter makes a desperate lunge from the statue, his hands outstretched to save her, eyes wide and fearful as they realize why Lena isn't trying to save herself. But then the Green Goblin slams him aside with his glider. His triumphant cackle fills the air, sounding even over the wind whistling in Lena's working ear. It's Peter 3 releasing a scream and diving off of the scaffolding to catch her instead. And it all culminates with the nauseating horror Lena feels as she watches her arm raise itself without her consent, her palm aimed up at him, energy swirling around her fingers in preparation to blast her salvation away.

Then the spell breaks and Lena comes crash-landing back into her body. She sucks in a gasp as power sparks from her hands and feet in an attempt to re-orient herself. But it's not enough, and surely she should be about to hit the ground by now—

Peter 3 shoots a web on the underside of a ledge and grabs Lena in his arms, yanking her into his chest as he tucks them into a flip to decelerate their speed. He lands on his feet with Lena shaking in his grip and staring at him with wide eyes. Her thunderous heartbeat causes blood to roar in her ears like a freight train.

It seems to take him a moment to realize that she's all right. Peter blinks, feeling her pulse with his fingertips when she continues to merely stare at him, paralyzed with fear. Both of their minds are slow to catch up to the successful rescue.

"Are you alright?" he asks, his voice brittle.

Lena is still trying to reassure herself that her body belongs to her again. She sucks in her breaths a little too quickly, making black spots dance in her vision.