16 | the power of friendship

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter sixteen
THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter sixteenTHE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

THOUGH LENA HAD RESTED for hours at Paul's home in Germany, it doesn't stop her from being absolutely exhausted. She slumps in a chair across from Peter with her feet in his lap, eyelids drooping. Every muscle of hers hurts. Her entire body pulses with an ache that's bone-deep, bruises dotting not only her skin but also places she can't see. Every step she's taken has sent a sharp pain up her right leg from kicking a concrete post that she'd thought was Beck. She can feel the stitches in her back stretching with every movement.

But the worst thing isn't the pain. No, even though it's terrible, it's part of the job as a superhero— a piece of her has gotten used to it. The worst thing is that her mind won't let her relax even as she continues to doze off. As soon as she begins to lose consciousness, a spark of fear will jolt her awake once more. A seed of doubt takes root in her brain. She'll wonder if anything around her is real at all. Is she really safe from harm? Is she really this close to Peter? Is Happy Hogan really sitting at the front of the jet, or is this just another trick?

That very fact causes her to snap awake once again. She blinks, trying to clear her blurry vision. Peter's eyes flicker to her when she moves to rub her tired eyes. It also hurts to look at him and the dried cut near his eye. He looks like a trainwreck even with his accelerated healing; Beck truly had done a number on him.

"Alright," Happy sighs. He stands from the pilot's seat and walks the few steps it takes to reach them, smoothing his hands down the front of his suit. "What's the game plan? Cuz we've been hovering over this field for, like, fifteen minutes."

"The plan is to wait for Graham," Peter replies. It warms Lena's heart to hear that, especially given the fight they've been in for the past day.

"Okay, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we don't have any way of contacting him, neither of you knows where he is, and with where I had to pick you up from, Peter, he could be across a border—"

"We're not leaving without Graham," Peter interrupts. The tone of his voice suggests that the decision is final. It's not one Lena has heard him use often, but to disobey it would be like kicking a puppy.

She glances at him. "Where did Happy find you?"

"The Netherlands."

"How—?"

"Long story."

Happy waits for the two of them to finish, then holds his hands up in surrender. "Fine. We'll wait for fifteen more minutes, but any more time and we're risking everything."