Act 2 Scene 7

(It's the night of the play. Christine addresses the audience in a pre-curtain speech.)

Christine (spoken)
Welcome, everybody. Thanks you so much for coming to our production of 'A Middummer Nightmare About Zombies'.
It's been a rough week for all of us at Middleborough. That's why this play is so important- to bring this school together! To show you something special! I know if Rich where here here, instead of  the intensive care unit at Beth Israel, he'd say 'Go out there and show everyone the relevant power of live theatre!'

"What the fuck? When would've I thaid that?" Rich started laughing, making everyone else laugh.

Mr. Reyes (spoken)
(Coughs) costumes.

(Backstage everyone is getting ready.)

Christine (spoken)
Oh... and thanks to Hobby Lobby for the costumes.

"So that's why it looked so shit." Michael said in realisation.

"Hey!-" Christine said getting interrupted.

"Look at you, Chris! It looks rubbish." Michael laughed.

"I- it does doesn't it?" Chris said, making everyone laugh.

Places, everyone! Break a leg!

(Jake, on crutches with both legs in casts, glares at her.)

Jake (spoken)
Not cool.

Everyone laughed, except Jake, but Rich tried to hold it in, covering his mouth.

"Go on." Jake glared, removing Rich's hands from his mouth. Rich snorted then laughed the loudest of the all, making everyone laugh again, even Jake.

(He goes offstage as Jeremy enters.)

Jeremy (spoken)
Christine!

Christine (spoken)
Jeremy! Where have you been? It's so bad. Mr. Reyes made himself your understudy.

"Ew." Rich grimaced.

Jeremy (spoken)
Isn't he understudying Rich?

Christine (spoken)
He's both.

"Even bigger 'ew'." Jeremy said, mainly to Rich.

Jeremy (spoken)
Oh god. Look, I've been thinking about what you said at the party-

Christine (spoken)
I can't do this now..

Jeremy (spoken)
But I finally understand! You can't go with anyone because you don't know who you are yet, right?

Christine (spoken)
Yeah but-

Jeremy (spoken)
Well, I get that! And that's awesome, actually, because I felt that way too. I mean, I didn't realise that's what I felt, I thought it was just about being cool. But it was more than that. It was about being confident and understanding who I am... and I couldn't have figured that out on my own.

"No, because you needed Michael!" Rich squealed, holding the "l" in Michael.

"Yeah, all I needed was friends. I'm sorry, Micha." Jeremy said.