●16●

Have you watched the film, 'Finding Nemo'? Do you remember Dory's dialogue, when life gets you down, you know what you gotta do? Just keep swimming . . . Just keep swimming. Never had I imagined that I would stand in a hospital in front of the man whom I had met merely three to four weeks ago and to whom I have just confessed my love, and who is now having a visitor who’s supposed to be his ex-girlfriend! So now you know what you gotta do? Just keep swimming . . .just keep swimming. . .

In this world, only one word can describe the girl in front of me, beautiful! I have no idea how Shravan thought she was ordinary. There’s nothing ordinary about her. Her clear skin is devoid of any kind of makeup. Her waist-length hair is something that any girl would die for, with a smile. Yes, she is not a conventional beauty but there’s something in her voice or her attitude, that it makes her extraordinary.

“I actually saw the news.” She slowly walks in, her head high, shoulders square. How could Shravan let her go! She is perfect! I sigh looking at them.

The girl is fidgeting a lot, clearly she is nervous. And who wouldn’t be, the way Shravan is looking at her, as if he has never been so bored. “Thanks for coming.” His voice is so cold that even I felt bad for her.

“Shravan!” I softly say his name. Why did I, even I have no idea. But for some reasons, I don’t think she deserves this kind of treatment. She is his ex. And he should respect that at one point of time he wanted to be with her.

Shravan closes his eyes for a second, “I am sorry, Ananya, I didn’t mean to insult you.” He looks at her, his expression much less stoic, “How are you? It’s been five years right?!”

Ananya looks at him and then she looks at me. And instantly I understand she is still in love with him. The way she is looking at him, with so much love, it actually felt like I am intruding in their moment. Shravan is still sitting on the bed with a neutral expression like he didn’t even know what’s happening here. How can he be so cold!

I shake my head, “Hello, I am Suman. It’s nice to meet you Ananya.” I smile at her, “You want anything? A cup of coffee or tea !?” I can see in my periphery that Shravan is looking at me with a frown, “I am going to get one for myself, that’s why I am asking.

Ananya smiles at me, “It’s nice to meet you too Suman. Thanks for the offer, but I am here to meet Shravan. I won’t stay here longer.” Even her smile is dripping with sadness.

I nod at her then focus my attention on Shravan, “I’ll be back soon!”

I am about to touch the knob of the door when Shravan’s parents walk inside the room. Their eyes zeroed in on Ananya. His father comes inside, and puts his hand around my shoulders, “Where are you going?” Without letting me reply, he drags me towards Shravan’s bed. His face is cold and the way he is looking at Ananya as if she is some kind of a pest. I can see Shravan’s smirk, I shake my head at him.

Even Shravan’s mother has a disapproving look on her face. I know what they are doing, they are trying to tell Ananya that Shravan is off limits and they want me to get the assurance of not being alone here. “Ananya and Akshay, both are here. And I need a coffee!” I snap. I am hating the fact the way everyone is ganging up on a girl, who hasn’t done anything to deserve this.

Nirmala Ma'am frowns at me. She can see how irritated I am now. I plead her with my eyes, I need to get out of here. I maybe in love with Shravan, but I would never stand aside and see a woman getting humiliated. I don’t know whether she understood or not, but she nods at me with a smile, “Go!”

Without looking at Shravan or anyone else I walk out of the room.

***