21 December, 1974 - Lovestruck

Start from the beginning

"And yet here we are," Black said, tearing his eyes away from his little brother to rest on Lavinia.

She shrugged. "Still not an interruption," she said simply. "More like annoying flies." She waved her hand vaguely as though shoo away said bugs.

"Says you. You're a real nuisance, Selwyn," Potter muttered, frowning at Severus who he'd no doubt been looking forward to hexing. "Shame Snivellus needs his girlfriend to defend him."

Regulus expected her to blush, but she just smiled innocently and hooked her arm through Severus's. "Jealous much?" she said mockingly, tilting her head slightly.

"As if," Black retorted. "I don't want to date Snivellus thank you very much. Don't you feel greasy every time you touch him?"

Regulus sighed, knowing this wasn't going to go anywhere pretty. Lavinia didn't tolerate people insulting her friends, especially Severus, and especially by the Marauders. And in his experience, the Marauders didn't tolerate... well, they didn't tolerate Severus. Or Lavinia for that matter.

"You're the definition of greasy, Black," she deadpanned. "I'm sure you wouldn't notice. Good to know that's your only hesitation thought. Let me know when you find that unlucky guy. I'll want to take the poor fellow for a drink." She nodded with mock sincerity, then smirked. "He'll need it." She gave a little laugh as Black tried to unravel the layers of implication there. "But we should change the topic. Poor Potter is getting jealous." She gave a false pout and her smirk widened at the indignation on both Black and Potter's faces.

"Now we have places to be and things to do, so we'll be off," she said sweetly, giving the boys a mocking salute with her free hand. "And I'd say give our love Evans, but..." She trailed off and shrugged. "She hates you, I hate her and frankly none of us really care, so..." She gave them a simpering smile and theatrical little wave before walking off, still arm in arm with a Severus, who looked like it was taking all his self control not to laugh out loud. Once they reached the end of the corridor, she flicked her wand behind her and removed her shield charm.

Severus laughed as they descended the stairs toward the entrance hall. "That was bloody brilliant," he muttered as Lavinia dropped his arm, though Regulus saw her hesitation in doing so. "You're a marvel, Vin."

"She sure knows how to shut them up," Regulus teased, trying to distract Lavinia, who had gone a shade of pink comparable to Hagrid's petunias.

She smiled and gave a laugh that came out as more of a giggle. "I try," she demurred teasingly and the three of them headed to dinner, thinking the whole thing was over.

Unfortunately for everyone, they were wrong, and that was not the end of that. Later that night, Severus came into the common room with a bruise blooming over his eye and anger all over his face. Regulus barely had time to register the scene before Lavinia jumped up and guided him out of the room with a hand on his back, shooting a look over her shoulder that warned all of them not to follow.

Regulus sat, mouth slightly open, shocked. The Marauder's were always a nuisance, and everyone knew they'd singled Severus out for some reason, but he'd never seen them go this far.

"Shit," breathed Eloise softly, staring at the door where Lavinia and Severus had just disappeared. Regulus could only nod, wondering just how far Lavinia would go to get back at the Marauders for this.

He didn't see her that night before bed and when he woke in the morning, Severus was fast asleep in his bed, the bruise barely visible as a shadow around his eye.

At breakfast, Lavinia showed up before Severus, sat down and calmly told them all that if any of them brought up the night before, she would see how they liked the Marauder's tricks and curses. And to watch out for the Marauders fabulous new hairstyles.