Pidge doesn't want to go to the Diplomatic Ball (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"So it's Pidge," Keith said, less like a question, and more like he knew all along. He swallowed the remainder of his 'cookie' and wiped his hands on his pants, clearly not caring that it wasn't polite. Especially at a high class social gathering such as this one.

Lance flushed. Hunk grinned. Keith cackled.

"The girls are fine. They're just doing girl things," Hunk assured, patting his friend on the shoulder. Just then a flash of green and amber passed. Lance immediately registered that it was Pidge. She had leaves in her hair and her dress was torn.

The three boys raced after. Allura and Shiro were dancing, and none of them wanted to interrupt, even though the situation could be dire.

Lance watched as Pidge skidded to a halt, tapped a few buttons on her wristwatch, and allowed a map of the building to appear. It was holographic, and Pidge was able to tap on it. It sent a scan through the map, and a bright red dot started flashing on the map in the spot that they stood.

"Pidge, what's going on?" Keith asked her.

"Get everyone out of the building. There's a bomb."

"What?" Hunk asked, terror spreading across his face.

"I don't know how big it is, but I'll explain later."

Hunk and Keith raced off to shoo everyone away from the building. Lance stayed to help Pidge dispose of the bomb properly.

"Where do you think it is?" he asked, crouching down next to her. "You look great, by the way."

"No time for your jokes, Lance. And the scan says it should be right here," she trailed off and looked around. "But I don't... oh there it is."

She was pointing at a spot out of both of their reach. It was a vent hatch. Lance looked at it nervously.

"Lift me up," she said to him, closing her watch-map. She looked at him expectantly.

"What," he spluttered. "I'm not letting you take out the bomb on your own."

Pidge ignored him and started tearing the skirt part of her dress off. Lance felt his ears burn and he turned away.

"Oh calm down, you weirdo," she scoffed. She had on a pair of athletic shorts, and Lance breathed a sigh of relief when he looked over and saw them. She looked at him, eyebrow raised, and then made a lifting motion with her arms. "We literally have no time."

A sudden loud beeping rang from the vent. She started panicking and ignored any protests he made, scrambling to get up the wall. Hunk's face appeared in a holographic form on her watch.

"No one is listening, what do we do?"

"Hold tight, and get out. Get Allura and Shiro and Coran and anyone that will listen." Panic was evident in her voice. Hunk's face dissipated and Pidge stopped trying to grip the wall.

"Lance, I really need you, please." Her expression was pleading, and something clicked in Lance. He stepped forwards and she scrambled onto his back, eventually managing her way onto his shoulders. She punched out the screen of the vent and pulled herself in.

"I got it!" her voice rang through the vent. The beeping was getting faster, and Lance had seen enough action movies to know what was happening. It was about to go off. Pidge dropped it out of the vent and Lance dove to catch it, having stepped back before.

"Can you catch me?" she asked. Lance was unsure. She may have been tiny, weighing in at about only ninety five pounds, but he was willing to try. He nodded. Pidge wasn't stupid, so she didn't leap. She lowered herself down, and then when she was hanging on by merely the tips of her fingers, she let go. Lance caught her by the waist and set her down gently.

With a simple thank you, Pidge dropped down to her knees next to the bomb and pulled off the cover.

"Lance, get out."

"What?"

"I said get out. There's the stereotypical timer, and I have two minutes, eighteen seconds. And no tools. I need you out of the building, because I don't know if I'll be able to disable it in time." She was fiddling the entire time she spoke, and she melted the screw with a laser on her watch. Lance wondered how much she had modified it, and stood his ground.

"I'm not going. Just let it go off, we can get out."

"Lance, the amount of explosives in this thing, it could decimate half the planet. It's basically a nuke."

Lance paled.

"Just go." Her voice cracked. Was she crying? Lance crouched next to her. He couldn't read the small writing on each of the wires, but Pidge seemed to know what she was doing. He trusted her with his whole being. He knew she could do it.

"The green wire leading to what looks like a stick of dynamite," she said, not to Lance but to herself. Lance loved when she rambled, and knew he would have found it adorable, if they weren't stuck in a life or death situation with almost no way out. "It's what's connected the timer to the bomb."

Her face lit up, and she stuck the wire between her teeth and pulled. The wire snapped and the beeping slowed to a stop. She spat out the piece that she had torn off.

"Fuck, I hope that did it. It- the timer is still going, but I think that's the right wire. Any others could set off the bomb sooner." She sounded so unsure. Lance wrapped his arms around her waist, as she was sitting in front of him.

"Lance I- I'm scared. I-i-if I didn't get it then we all die. Zarkon takes over and-" she stopped talking when the timer hit three.

Then two.

Then one.

Nothing happened. Pidge tensed in Lance's arms, but he stayed relaxed. He knew that she could do it, and when the bomb didn't go off, Pidge exhaled shakily. Lance crawled in front of her and gave her his award winning grin.

Okay, so not an award winning grin. A dopey smile. His right hand rested in the hair just at the base of her hairline. He looped it around his fingers.

"I knew you could do it. Never had a doubt."

Pidge surged forwards and captured his lips in hers. Lance didn't hesitate to kiss back. He was so proud of her. Her arms were thrown around his shoulders, and his left hand supported his weight while he leaned forwards.

Pidge gasped and pulled back.

"I destroyed Allura's dress."