twentieth: yours*

Start from the beginning

He sighed softly, raking a hand through his hair. "Come in."

His apartment was much bigger than mine. A long hallway led to the living room and kitchen. There was a staircase to my right which I assumed led to the bedroom above and another room on my left; its door shut. He led me into the living room and sat on the couch, gazing up at me. I took a seat beside him, a few inches away.

"So, what headway were you telling me about?" He took a drag and blew the smoke before turning to me. I could smell the strong scent of tobacco on his breath.

"I'll tell you if you could light me one."

He handed me the cigarette as I held it between my lips. I had never been big on smoking, just occasionally doing it in order to blend in better. I took a drag and was instantly reminded of the bittersweet memories from when I was still a teenager. 

"I found the cash. Rosalie is going to siphon it off soon. I just don't know where yet."

He blew out another dark wisp of smoke, raising an eyebrow. "How did you manage that?"

I grinned. "Broke into her warehouse. It was a whole thing."

He didn't look amused as I recounted my little adventure to him. After I was done, he put the cigarette out and discarded it in the ashtray. "You seem to get along well with Scarlett."

I gazed into his unreadable eyes, wondering if he could be jealous. Before I could say anything, he continued, "You could've told me this tomorrow. You didn't need to come down here."

His voice was uncharacteristically hard. I felt my stomach clenching slightly in nervousness.

"I would," I said, making my voice breathy, "but I just also really wanted to see you." 

I could feel my cheeks burning after I spoke. Beside me, he seemed to stiffen a little.

"I've been...thinking," I leaned into him, gently grazing my lips on his neck. Taking in his intoxicating scent. "About you. Us. How amazing it was..."

I felt like his breathing stilled as I trailed my lips along his neck to the spot behind his ears and kissed him. He didn't react. I decided I needed to change my coy tactics.

I climbed onto him, pulling him close to me and kissing him. My tongue coaxing his mouth to grant entry. My heart revelled in pleasure as finally, mercifully, his mouth opened against mine. I knew it had barely been three days but I had missed him like crazy. I hadn't realized how much I had missed him until I was touching him again. It was scary.

"I missed you," I whispered. "Don't do that to me."

I trailed kisses to his jaw, nibbling his ear. My hand reached for his shirt and tried to tug it off him, but his hand clasped on mine almost painfully, making me gasp. "Gray-"

"I think you should leave, Xavier."

I gaped at him, my blood running cold at his words. 

"But...why?" I asked stupidly. He had left me after he was done. Maybe my doubts had been correct. Maybe I had meant nothing. "What's wrong with me?"

My voice broke. He leaned back to look at me, his hand framing my face tenderly as I leaned into his touch, yearning. Burning with need. His lips parted as he breathed, leaning closer to me before he shook his head. He shut his eyes and took a deep breath as if steeling himself before he whispered, "Nothing. Just leave."

I opened my mouth to say something but he pushed me away. Roughly. I stumbled off in shock. The cigarette fell out of my hand. The force and suddenness of his push had me tumbling onto the floor as I let out a grunt of pain and landed on my butt.