eleventh: belong*

Start from the beginning

I guessed she had sent the package to Mason's house. The department had rented a single room apartment on the far west, so the chances of her leaving her busy day and coming to see me were less. They were also weirdly intent on making sure that I gave her the fake address. I vaguely entertained myself with the idea of Black taking the parcel from the fake address on a cycle and up to my real one.

"Since when is the Rosalie Atkinson sending you stuff?" she asked in disbelief as she shook her head. "Are you her sugar baby or something?"

I smirked, "She's not the only Rosalie Atkinson, Annalise," I rolled my eyes and pretended to be exasperated. I felt the package in my hands and wondered what it could be. It was soft and light. Like clothes.

She scowled. "That's it. I'll start wearing makeup."

I held the package securely in my hand and put my earphones back in my ears. I shrugged and started walking towards the staircase. "If you think that'll help."

She gasped, "Why the hell are you so mean to me, Harber? What did I even do to you?"

I rolled my eyes and sighed, turning around to look at her. She had her arms crossed in front of her chest and was glaring at me angrily. In all honesty, I wasn't exactly sweet to her. Or anyone that I didn't need. It was a waste. I couldn't afford to forge relationships. It was always better to keep everyone at a distance. With her, however, I was simply jealous that she had seemed to capture Grayson's attention in a way that I could only dream about. I was simply being bitter and I knew it was unfair to her.

But that realization wasn't going to stop me.

I walked closer to her. "To be honest, I don't really know."

She shook her head, her cheeks flaming. "You know if you really like me you could just ask me out. I might even say yes. Instead of being so damn obnoxious."

I stopped in my tracks and blinked. I resisted the urge to laugh and instead gave her a flirty smile. "You got me, Anne," I spoke softly, moving closer to her so I was towering over her. She gazed up at me, trying to feign confidence by crossing her arms in front of her chest, but I could see her quivering bottom lip and eyes that were a little too wide. She was clearly nervous. 

"It's just...so damn hard..." I leaned toward her and breathed deeply, "to be around you and not-"

She gazed at me, her chest rising and falling rapidly. And then I realized. Another way of making sure that Grayson stayed away from her, was to make her disinterested in him. Without a second thought, I leaned forwards and kissed her.

Part of me had been sure that she would push me away. However, she froze for a second before reacting with fervour. She tasted like coffee, something I didn't really mind.

I pulled back after a while, smiling softly. Her eyes were wide, her mouth slightly open as she gawked before spluttering, "You're a really good kisser."

I smirked, "Not usually. But..." I placed my hand on her chin and stroked her lower lip with my thumb as I whispered, "with you..."

She gulped, her eyes shining. I leaned forward and kissed her cheek softly before leaning back. "I'll see you around, Annalise," I said, shooting her a slight wink. One that would make her wonder.

I walked up the staircase, feeling her eyes burn into my back. I could almost hear the gears in her brain clicking.

Worked like a charm.

I knew it was enough to keep her wondering. I just hoped I had done enough to keep her off Grayson. Not that he would go for me instead. But as long as I didn't have to physically see him slobbering over someone else, I hoped I would be fine.