Chapter Four - Silence of the Wolfs

Start from the beginning

"You were in the casino?"

Luca shook his head.

"No, I was in the aquarium when they called to tell me that they had given chase to you and your friend, only to lose you soon after."

I couldn't help the smirk that rose to my lips.

"I should congratulate you on that," he continued. "I've never known anyone to be able to successfully evade my men like you and your friend did."

"Maybe you should tell them to block all exits before they start a keg-tossing contest with the slot machines next time," I remarked.

"Noted."

We were silent for a few moments before I realized something.

"Why couldn't I pick up on your scent?" I asked.

I should have been able to if we had truly been that close in the Mandalay Bay.

"Cedarwood and pine," he answered simply. "My men and I use it to help disguise our scents. I didn't want any of the other Alphas to know that we were in Vegas."

I sat in my seat quietly after that, digesting what Luca had said but also realizing that I failed at keeping my mouth shut and had fallen into his conversational trap.

"Are you-"

"Look," I said sharply, cutting him off, "I appreciate that you're trying to be friendly now, but I shouldn't be talking to you."

I saw Luca's jaw clench.

"Amore, I am just trying-"

"Stop calling me that," I interrupted again. "I told you my name."

"You don't like my name for you?"

I couldn't bring myself to say no. That would have been a downright lie.

Instead, I leaned forward and turned on the radio. The sound of Steven Tyler's voice floating through the speakers interrupted whatever Luca had planned on saying next.

We didn't speak for the rest of the drive.

Once we had arrived in Spokane, I fished out a pair of tennis shoes from the bag I packed for Vegas and went inside the gas station, finding a bathroom to change in while Luca was filling his truck's tank.

It felt great to get out of my damp pajamas and into clean, dry clothes.

I brushed my hair and pulled it back out of my face into a ponytail.

Luca was browsing the aisles looking for snack food whenever he looked up and saw me emerging from the bathroom.

"Hungry?" he asked.

"No, thank you."

I passed him and returned to the truck, ignoring my growling stomach as I did so.

A few minutes later, Luca walked out of the gas station with a plastic bag that was full of food and drinks.

As he got into the truck, he put the bag on the floor at my feet.

"I didn't know what you liked so I got an assortment."

"I told you that I wasn't hungry."

"No, you lied and said you weren't hungry. You've been awake for hours and haven't eaten anything. I'm not an idiot."

When I didn't say anything, Luca sighed and leaned forward to hit ignition button.

"We can stop somewhere if you don't want what's in the bag," he offered as the truck's engine started.