epilogue

THE FUTURE / KERRISH

This is the day Kerrish Soto becomes New York City's youngest Public Advocate.

He arrives at the Municipal Building in Manhattan alone. As he cranes his head backwards, Kerrish notices his breath misting in the brisk air, tendrils rising peacefully, and higher still, the soaring columns of the old Roman-style architecture.

This place is heavy with history, but Kerrish only feels lightness and hope for the future as he crosses the threshold.

It is early in the morning. The sun is barely risen, and streetlights still fend off the remnants of darkness. Inside, light comes more from the old sconces than from the lofty windows. At least for the next couple of hours, Kerrish is here voluntarily. He does not have to arrive so prematurely, but his sense of duty and his compassion calls him to rise.

Kerrish would never call himself dutiful, or compassionate, in such words, despite the truth behind them. Sometimes he lies awake in his bed, Wyn always within reach, and thinks he is an impostor. That he somehow tricked his electorate and sponsors into believing his legitimacy. That the naysayers are the ones that see reality.

That he is not good enough for the mantle.

On the days he rises before the sun, with little sleep, Wyn tells him that for as long that he tries to be good enough, he will be. She thinks of the world of him, and Kerrish will always try to prove her right.

She will be watching from the crowd, later this day.

Kerrish meets the Magistrate and the other bigwigs who are obligated to be on the scene at obscene hours. He brews coffee - remembering the lessons he received in Italy and Spain during his post-high school romp through Europe - for his colleagues, weary-eyed but excited like him.

They review the program, run through their speeches and welcome the caterers, reporters and politicians as they arrive. Kerrish feels less and less the impostor with every person he talks to.

By the time noon rolls around, he knows exactly what he is and what he is not.

He is the link between the city's people and their government. He is the person who will fight for the good of the people. He is not a coward. He is not corruptible. He is a son, a friend and a husband.

He places his hand on the Bible, and repeats his oaths. He rises to face the cameras. He smiles at Wyn, sat with his family and friends, her face like a beacon in the crowd.

I know exactly what I am and what I am not.

The weight of responsibility pushes on Kerrish for as long as he serves - which is long - but he always pushes back.

__________

THE FUTURE / RYANEL

This is the day that Ryanel Gonzales returns from postgraduate study.

Ryanel has earned his Masters of Applied Science in Bioengineering at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich. He returns to the United States brainier than ever, full of purpose and curiosity - and fluent in Swiss German, which is indescribably sexy to his boyfriend.