Chapter 20

~~~Newt's Pov~~~

"Is it just me or are you actually smiling today?" Minho asked me sarcastically, as we walked over to the map room.

"Shut up." I mumbled, holding back a smile.

"No really. What's got you in such a good mood?"

"It's Nothing. Nothing at all."

It was Brianne.

Not gonna lie to myself, but I will lie to Minho, since I don't think he really wants to hear about my random thoughts.

But, these thoughts started on the night of Brianne's welcoming party, four days ago. She like almost died and I almost threw myself down in the boxhole to save her.

Yes, I'm that attached already. No, I'm not going to rush into anything.

"Mmhhmm. I think you're up to something and I'm gonna find out about this said thing, eventually." Minho pushed open the door to the map room.

I was laughing until I entered the room. There were too many people here.

At least ten people were in the small room, all of them huddled around the center table.

"What's goin' on?" I asked, stepping further into the room.

Nobody answered.

Minho stomped through the room, trying to make his appearance known, "Just so you know, Second-in-command of the runners is coming in. Nobody important or anything." Minho announced himself.

No one reacted.

"Oh, look! It's Newt the Keeper!" Minho tried yelling out.

Nick's head whipped around, his arm waving me over.

I stepped up to the table.

Laid out on it were a bunch of maps. Maps of the maze.

What are they doing with these?

"What's this all about?" I asked, touching one of the maps.

"We're planning." Nick answered, staring at the papers intently.

"Planning for what?" Minho asked, right at my side.

"To hunt a griever down." Adam, one of the runners, answered.

"What? Are you serious?" I asked. Are they insane? You can't track down a bloody griever.

"I'm not joking. A group of volunteers will be heading into the maze."

"Who the heck would volunteer for something that stupid?" I said, finding this situation ludicrous.

"Newt's right, I mean, he just so happens to be Keeper of the runners, so he kind of has the upper hand on the subject." Minho mumbled.

"Well, I think your girlfriend would want in on this." Nick said, a teasing look in his eyes.

"My girlfriend?" I asked.

"His girlfriend? Which one: the wannabe or the real one?" Minho asked, laughing. I gave him a warning glance, I don't have a girlfriend. I don't get why everyone is so obsessed with my love life.

"Brianne." Nick smirked, acting like he knew something I didn't.

"Oh, the real one." Minho whispered to someone.

"This isn't about me. Or her. It's about you making horrible decisions." I said, sounding more defensive than I wanted to.

"I'll do whatever I want, Newt. But let me tell you, I'd watch over your little lover, she's gonna get herself into some serious trouble." Nick winked and I had to mentally stop myself from punching him.