I smiled. "It's okay. There's no one back there."

Paranoia was now the order of the day for me.

I blinked rapidly and took a deep breath, turning on the car and backing out of my parking space.

My mind was churning with questions as I drove that desperately needed answers. I was so confused. Just how had it gotten to this point where everything was so complicated.

I turned on the radio and let out a sigh as a song I knew came on.

I sang along distractedly, my grip on the steering wheel tight, my other arm placed on the armrest, my fingers tapping unconsciously on the gear shift.

My phone rang. I actually expected to get another message from that same number, threatening me. The last message had also disappeared just like the other two had which is what spurred my decision to get my phone checked.

I reached into my purse to check who it was so I could put on my Bluetooth earpiece to answer it when the car jerked. I froze and turned to look at the dashboard where the fuel gauge and speedometer was.

"Okay, what's wrong now?" I muttered to myself.

The car kept running smoothly so it probably wasn't anything serious. My damn phone was still ringing. Who the hell was calling me?

I swerved out of the way of another car when my car jerked violently once again, startling me.

"Oh no!" I exclaimed in horror as I looked down at my feet.

My brakes weren't working.

"Oh God." I shrieked, looking around wildly as the car continued to speed up and I was having a hard time controlling the steering wheel. The brakes refused to kick in which was very weird because they had been working perfectly this morning.

"What the hell?" I said, confused.

I needed to park the car. Safely. Without brakes. Fuck.

Agitation ran through me as the car was swerving now, the tires screeching as it went too fast, blindly, on its own accord.

I hit the pavement before going back onto the road. Fear gripped me as I struggled to take control of the car, trying to avoid hitting other cars and people.

My damn phone was still ringing. I didn't get the chance to answer when the car bucked suddenly, my whole body going forward towards the steering wheel, the seatbelt catching me.

I noticed people ahead moving out of the way and the pole in which I was headed towards. I tried to avoid it but without my brakes I knew it was a lost cause.

I screamed as the car rammed viciously into the electrical pole, the force of the hit shattering the hood of the car, the lights, the windshield.

The airbags activated, blocking me from meeting the steering wheel. I slammed back into my seat forcefully, my ears ringing.

It felt like static was floating through my ears, I could hear screams, calls, shouts. There was smoke. The car was getting hot. Too hot.

Dizzying sickness came over me, I blindly reached for the door handle, my hand sliding away weakly. I could smell blood, something was trickling down the side of my head. There was also pain, glass everywhere.

Someone was trying to get my door open, his eyes filled with urgency and panic.

I reached for the door handle again, the smoke going through my nostrils, choking me, suffocating me.

I blacked out.

***

"How did this happen?" A voice inquired.