Pidge doesn't want to go to a Diplomatic Ball (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"Well, you and I shall talk about boys then. Make up for all the times you missed out on. I have noticed you've been spending a lot of time with a certain blue paladin." Allura smirked and leaned down. "Does our dear Pidge have feelings?"

Pidge flushed heavily and looked away from Allura's gaze in the mirror. She lifted her phone from the dresser top and unlocked it.

"There's my proof," Allura laughed. Pidge's home screen was a picture of Pidge and Lance. The photo had been taken by Hunk, while the blue and green paladin had fallen asleep playing video games in Lance's room. Lance's arm was wrapped around Pidge's shoulder, while she was snuggled in close to his side. Pidge's mind went back to the next morning. It had been very awkward.

"It's not proof of anything. Besides, Lance would never like me like that. He's into girls like you, not me," she said somberly. Allura frowned.

"Well, I disagree. I think Lance might feel the same way about you." She finished off Pidge's hairdo by spraying it with what Pidge assumed was hairspray. Pidge made a 'pfft' sound in response.

"The day Lance likes me back is the day I get shot."

Allura gasped. Pidge just shrugged and scrolled through her music folder. The music she had very legally downloaded. She selected Miss Jackson by Panic! at the Disco. She thought Allura would like the music.

She was right, as the older girl started moving to the music while she dusted some strange powder across Pidge's face.

"You know, I'm not the only one who's been making eyes at an individual on the ship. I've seen the way you look at Shiro," she smirked. Her eyes were closed, but she could feel Allura tense up.

"That's no way to speak to royalty," Allura teased. "Besides, I know that if I were to try, I could probably win him over."

"Oh please, I've already started planning the wedding. He's totally into you."

"And how is it that you can tell that, while you can't see that Lance makes, what was it that Hunk said? Goo-goo eyes at you."

"Pfft," Pidge said again. She had no reason to believe it. He had flirted with dozens of women, and never once had even looked at her. If he held interest like Allura said, he would have at least hit on her once, right?

"Well, tonight is a ball. And at a ball you dance, so I'm sure you can win Shiro over with those sick moves," Pidge laughed unattractively. Allura made an attempt at what Pidge would call krumping, and the younger girl had to stop herself from toppling out of the chair she was in. She stood swiftly and grabbed Allura's hands. The two danced around the room as Let's Be Friends by Emily Osment started playing. They spun and danced, and Pidge felt like she could tell Allura anything.

"Fuck, I'm so in love with him," she complained, flopping backwards onto the bed, not caring that she wrinkled her dress.

"Think I'll be turning that around. Don't you wanna?" Pidge's phone blared.

"Hey, Allura, is Pidge in here?" Lance's head poked into the room without knocking.

"Don't you know how to knock!" Allura screeched, throwing a pillow at him.

"Sorry!" he yelled, closing the door. He knocked twice, gently.

"What it would feel like? Let's be friends so we can make out."

"Is that the song I think it is? So Pidge is in there."

Pidge really didn't want Lance to see her. He would make some offhand comment, maybe flirt with her. She would love to hear a cheesy pickup line sent her way. She had heard so many, never directed at her.

Oh, Katie, you green eyed monster.

"I'm not wearing a shirt!" she hollered. Lance sputtered quickly and then said goodbye. Allura looked at Pidge quizzically.

"Why did you say that?" she asked.

"I panicked."

"But why?"

"If Shiro saw you in all your gorgeous glory, before everyone else, wouldn't you be a little embarrassed?" Pidge raised her eyebrow. Allura thought for a minute, and then flushed. She didn't make eye contact with the younger woman, and Pidge immediately knew what was going through the princesses mind. She hit Allura with another pillow and the princess snapped out of whatever daydream she was stuck in.

"Disgusting!" Pidge screeched as Allura started giggling.

"Everyone," Shiro's voice said through the speakers, "we're almost there. Coran says that words like our curses and swears, are signs of war, so Pidge and Lance watch your mouths."

"Oh, fuck off," Pidge replied, knowing he couldn't hear. Allura still wasn't accustomed to earth swear words, but she knew from the literal definitions that they were vulgar.

"I want everyone on the main deck," Coran added in. "Except the girls. I know they need a bit of extra time." He laughed. Both the girls rolled their eyes, while Allura went off to get into her dress. When she emerged from the closet, Pidge could only describe her as... Barbie-like. Her pink ball gown was hemmed with flowers, and it was so poofy Pidge wondered if she would even be capable of getting through the door in it.

"Hot damn! You're getting laid for sure tonight!" Pidge jumped up from the bed and swiftly walked towards the other girl. She ran her hands along the off shoulder sleeves. They matched the base of the dress, with the rose lining.

They felt the slight rumble of the castle landing on solid ground, and looked at each other with grins.

"Let's go catch the men of our dreams," Allura giggled, holding out her arm for Pidge to take. She did gracefully, imitating what she assumed a princess would do.

"I wouldn't necessarily call Lance a man. More of a... really tall child."