Chapter Five

March 11, 2020

--

Dania

--

I've never slept so poorly in my life. I just looked up at the tent ceiling and listened to Dylan's soft breaths. On my other side Tre "slept" with his back to me. I had my hands on my stomach and tried to find Tre's breaths, but I knew he wasn't asleep.

He wasn't mad. Or maybe he was. But it wasn't at me. I heard the rain continue to pound on our tent. "Tre." I turned over to face him. I raised his head and looked over his shoulder at me.

"Can't sleep?" I placed a hand on his shoulder. He turned his body so we were face to face.

"Yeah," He whispered looking down at the tent floor. "Can't sleep." He clarified though I knew there were other things going on. It was almost morning and the sun was about to rise.

"Want to take a walk?" I asked with a small smile. "With your little sister?" I said innocently.

He placed a hand on my head and stroked my hair, "not so little anymore." He said sadly like he was reminiscing on something from a long time ago. I smiled softly at him before sitting up and opening the tent.

The rain was barely coming down now. I held out a hand and watched as the water pooled in my hand. I looked back to my brother who was putting his hiking boots on. I looked to my own and started to tug them onto my fat feet.

In no time at all, we were closing the tent. I turned around to see Tre looking at the forest with a lonely look on his face. "Hey Tre," I wrapped my hands around his arm. "I'm still your sister." I looked up to him, "having a mate won't change it."

He just nodded and started to walk. "But you have a mate now," he spoke at last. "I knew the day would come," he stopped and put a hand on my cheek. "But I wasn't ready for it. Not so soon." He stroked my cheek and then dropped his hand. He looked deep into the forest again, "I just can't seem to forget the little monkey who would climb on me like a jungle gym." He smiled sheepishly, giving me a side-eye.

I tucked myself under his arm, snuggling close to him. "Tre," I looked up at him, "you will always be my big brother." He gave my shoulders a squeeze. Planting a kiss on the top of my head.

"I don't know how I'll be able to protect you." The sun was over the horizon and the mountains were in clear view. "You are so far away from the pack." He looked at my shoulders who still haven't fully healed. Werewolves healed fast, faster than a human, but the need for a medic is absolute.

"I'm more worried about you," I huffed out a laugh. "I'm becoming a medic for my family. Knowing you will be in a bit of trouble in the future." I hugged my arms close to me. I was no longer cold from the rain, due to Tre hovering over me.

"You should worry about yourself, Dania," Tre said seriously. "You do know who your mate is now?" I knew who he was, he was the Alpha of the Flos Mortem pack. I took in a gulp. "Their pack is in the war, which means we will have to get involved."

"What?" I pulled out of his arms. "No. You don't have to join the war." My words tumbled out of my mouth like a stream. I didn't want my family to fight in a war. Period. Not to mention fight because of me. That's against everything I stand for.

He shook his head, "we will have too. I couldn't imagine not being fighting the same war as you." He patted my head. "Don't stress too much about it, monkey." He was trying to tell me there was nothing I could do in the matter.

"Hop can you tell me not to stress. You are my brothers!" I crossed my arms with a huff. I heard Tre chuckle, I peeked at him to see a smug look on his face with his arms crossed.