Nathan Meets the Forgotten pt.2

"Let's go, Nathan. It's time for you to work your magic."

Nathan doesn't even try to resist as his dad pulls him down the hallway. It's Thursday which means it's also mashed potatoes day.

And if there's one thing that Nathan has learned about his dad, it's if there's a way for him to get extra mashed potatoes then he will.

"Dad, we've been doing this all year. You really don't need to drag me to the cafeteria anymore."

"I'm just so excited." He says stopping outside the doors of the cafeteria. "Now when get in there-"

"I smile and ask Geralyn about her day, she gives me mashed potatoes, I smile again, and then I give you the mashed potatoes and go sit with my friends."

"Good. Let's go."

Nathan has been on a strict diet ever for about three years now. Technically, his diet could have gone back to normal after a year. But Nathan has sort of gotten used to it so he's kept up with it.

"Hi, Geralyn. How's your day been?"

"My day's been great, Nathan. Here's your dad's mashed potatoes."

"It's funny how he thinks he's getting one over on you."

"Good afternoon, Geralyn." Speak of the devil. "Oh, mashed potatoes. Is it Thursday already?"

"Just take my plate, Dad."

"I put a little extra love in there for you today," Geralyn says with a smile.

"I know you did."

"He doesn't deserve you Geralyn," Nathan says walking towards his sister and the people who have somehow become their friends.

"What the fuck are you guys doing?"

"Volcano," Lucas says. As if that's supposed to make everything clear.

"I can see that. But why?"

"Well, we're not going to eat it," Farkle says.

"Then why did you buy it?"

"Volcano," Lucas says again. This time in an accent.

"If you say volcano one more time."

"Do you guys ever eat the food?" Nathan's dad questions as he approaches the group.

"Apparently not," Nathan tells him.

"Hey, how do you guys make this thing erupt," Maya asks reaching out to poke the volcano.

Nathan frowns as the mashed potatoes volcano erupts gravy all over the table.

"Why do they build their villages so close?" Riley whines as the bell rings. "Why?"

"Why am I friends with such slobs?" Nathan mocks as his friends wipe their hands and turn to leave the table.

"Hey, hey, hey. Where are you guys going? What's the rush," Nathan gives his father a questioning look as his sister and their friends are prevented from leaving.

"Geralyn, Janitor Harley, can you come over here for a minute? So, you guys don't think you should have to clean any of this up? Geralyn, do you think they realize when they waste their food like this it makes you feel bad?"

Nathan averts his eyes as Geralyn tells him and his friends that she feels bad.

"And Janitor Harley, do you think they realize when they make a mess in the cafeteria, it makes you feel bad?"