Nathan Meets the Truth pt.1

Nathan was sitting in the audience along with the rest of the school watching the play. It was a sham of a play really. Lucas had been cast as Romeo with Riley as his Juliet. It was the most awkward thing Nathan had ever seen. Luckily this was the final scene.

"Eyes, look your last. Arms, take your last embrace. And, lips, oh, you the doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss."

Just as Lucas bends down to kiss Riley, and really who thought a play with kissing would be good for seventh graders anyway, Farkle jumps from the side of the stage, "Back off!"

"What meanest thou? Spear carrier... who havest no lines"

"You tried to kiss my woman.  This I cannot allow. Prepare to die!"

"Do you have any popcorn?" Maya asks. "This just got exciting."

Nathan shakes his head with a cringe as Farkle continues to argue about his place in the play.

"Who thinks the spear carrier should finally get to kiss Juliet?"

Nathan has half a mind to leave the auditorium altogether as Maya stands and cheers, "Yeah, you kiss that girl, you crazy spear carrier."

"Hark! You cometh uppeth here and getteth kissed too."

And now the play is ruined. Nathan leaves the auditorium and goes to wait in the hallway. He loves Farkle, he really does, but there is no way Nathan is going to watch Farkle make a fool of himself like that. Since the play was almost over anyway Nathan doesn't have to wait long for people to file out.

He claps along with everyone else and he even though he ruined the play, Nathan claps for Farkle as well.

"Thank you. Thank you, Farkle Nation!" Farkle exclaims with a bow and Nathan scoffs. Nathan waves Farkle over to stand by him, but when Maya calls Farkle over to them Farkle hurries over to "his women".

Nathan is frowning at the ground when Lucas walks up to him.

"Why so down, Nat?" Lucas asks.

"Look at them." Nathan with a nod to where Riley and Maya are talking to Farkle.

"I don't get it. You're angry because they're talking to him?" Lucas says confused.

Nathan shakes his head, "I don't like when they treat him like that."

"They're just talking, Nat."

"You don't get it, Lucas." Nathan says frustrated.

"Well, help me then."

"Help you what?" Farkle asks walking up to them.

"Never mind that, Farkle. Why did you interrupt the play?"

"Well I wasn't going to stand there and watch Lucas kiss Riley."

"Farkle that's literally all you had to do. That was your role as spear carrier. I love you, but you had one job and you messed it up."

Farkle frowns, "Riley told me I did a great job. Why are you being so mean?"

"I'm not being mean. I'm telling you the truth." Nathan denies.

"But Riley told me that I killed the play."

"And by killed it. She meant you ruined the play. Lucas tell him."

"I think I should stay out of this."

"Why would Riley lie to me?" Farkle questioned.

"Why I lie to you. You're my best friend...but apparently you're not mine"