Chapter 19 - Claimed

Start from the beginning

Before Ricky could figure it out, a blood curdling growl erupted from behind the guy. The man didn't flinch though. Instead, his eyes seemed to grow excited as he turned around. This wasn't your average demon, Ricky realized. He was a Warmonger.

'Warmonger' is a term used to refer to demons who arrived in the Human Realm and became warlords. They would instigate fights with other demons in order to show off their strength and establish their rank back before the laws were changed. Now a days, Warmongers didn't have much of a place in society. They would frequently get arrested and were rarely able to maintain a rank due to their terrible people skills. Whatever this man was doing here, Ricky could only imagine it would cause trouble.

"What did you just say?" Damon asked in a very different voice than what Ricky was familiar with. It was a deep, inhuman growl that would scare away any mortal within earshot.

The Warmonger stood taller, bringing him about a head shorter than Damon. This didn't bother the man though and he flexed his now extended claws threateningly.

"You say something pretty boy?" The demon shot back with venom in his voice.

Hector was suddenly at Ricky's side, dragging him away so they could watch from a distance. "You probably shouldn't see this." Hector whispered urgently in Ricky's ear.

"Why not?" Ricky whispered back. "Don't tell me they're going to fight?" That would be bad. Having a fight break out right in front of the company could bring negative publicity.

"Not exactly." Was Hector's indirect response.

Ricky turned back towards the two large demons as they sized each other up. This was the most intimidating Ricky had ever seen Damon. The guy was a giant with a scowl and muscles that could bench press a truck, but that was nothing compared to how he looked now. Damon's eyes were a glowing inferno, with a dark and dangerous expression on his face. His body language made it clear that someone might die today.

The Warmonger didn't seem bothered by this though. Instead, he was the first to release his aura.

When a demon releases their aura, it's pretty much the same as flexing at someone. It's a show of strength that is meant to intimidate your opponent in order to avoid a fight. If this Warmonger really was trying to avoid a fight by scaring Damon off, then Ricky felt grateful, but he also knew that as a Warmonger, he was most likely just showing off.

Damon scowled at the man and said something that Ricky couldn't hear due to having been dragged out of earshot. Then, an extremely heavy weight set upon Ricky's shoulders and a blast of pain shot across his subconscious. Hector quickly caught him as he nearly blacked out on the spot. The air in Ricky's lungs felt as though it had been sucked out, along with any strength he had in his body. 

Gasping violently, Ricky's knees buckled and his entire body went limp in Hector's arms. Quickly Hector knelt down, gently laying Ricky on the pavement.

Slowly the world stopped spinning and Ricky glanced at the fight only to see the opposing demon kneeling in his full demon form in front of Damon, who had maintained his human appearance.

Ricky realized a few of the nearby demons were also sitting on the pavement, partially shifted. Looking down, he found his own hands were clawed as he too had lost a grip on his human form.

It took a lot of power to force a demon to return unwillingly to their true form. More power than Ricky had ever heard of.

Glancing at Damon, he felt a sudden terror set in. This was most certainly not someone he should ever pick a fight with.

Damon then turned and spotted Ricky and Hector, his eyes still glowing bright crimson. When he began to approach, Ricky couldn't fight his reflex to scramble backwards. If it weren't for Hector grabbing him and holding him in place, Ricky would have run down the street in a panic

Fearful tears began streaming down from Ricky's face as he stared in utter terror at the man who was approaching him. Despite how close he felt he was with Damon, his instincts were taking over. Damon then knelt down and tried to cup Ricky's face, probably to comfort him, but Ricky yanked his head back.

His reaction made Damon hesitate as Hector began stroking Ricky's head. "Shhh It's okay sweetheart. It's just Damon." Hector cooed into Ricky's ear as he trembled in his arms.

Damon looked suddenly ashamed, but as the crowds started to form, he reached down and picked up Ricky bridal style.

Ricky struggled at first, but was no match for the man's greater strength and quickly gave in for fear of angering him.

Damon then glared back at the Warmonger. The man was still kneeling, but had a look of awe on his face as he gazed back. Damon locked eyes on him, and the man quickly looked down. "I'm sorry." The Warmonger spoke. "I didn't mean to offend your mate."

Ricky was still hyperventilating in Damon's arms, uncomfortable with this whole situation. His mind was barely able to comprehend the events that just unfolded. 

Damon had made a public stand to defend Ricky, and now he was carrying Ricky away in his arms. This wasn't just a fight anymore. To all onlookers, this could be considered an official claiming. One that meant Ricky had been claimed as Damon's potential mate. It was an old practice that wasn't written in law, it was simply something a demon would do to make sure their future mates don't get bothered by other demons. It was in a way, an act of protection. 

A few other demons scurried back into the building. He recognized some of them as the associates who usually crowded around Mr. Dalton. Odds were that they would tell him about what happened to Ricky. So far he had done his best not to let anyone find out that he was technically married, but after this, there was a good chance that secret would be found out regardless. 

---

This story is Copyrighted ©Darksparx via Wattpad

This story is Copyrighted ©Darksparx via Wattpad. Do not translate, post, or publish on any other platforms without the author's express permission.

Please consider tipping the author at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/DarkSparx if you enjoy this story! Coffee link is also on my profile.