Chapter Twenty-Eight

The sharp cry of the gulls contrasted with the rhythmic shush of the waves against the dock. Sitting on the very end, I'd slipped my bare feet into the water, enjoying the coolness and the simplicity.

After the trip back to The Point, the break was more than deserved. The crew was busy carousing, but I'd sought out the quietest, emptiest dock I could find for a little peace and quiet. Physically relaxed as I was, my mind wouldn't settle. From my pocket I retrieved the gemstone I'd taken from the cave, unwrapping it and dropping it into my hand. On the journey, Carlos had regaled me with the full story of Captain Ramirez, his connection to my mother, and the discovery of the strange stone.

"Mind if I join you?"

Smiling over my shoulder at Dark, I beckoned him to my side. He sat next to me, prying off his boots and stretching out his long legs. With a sigh, he leaned back on his hands. He looked every bit the carefree boy I'd met so long ago, fishing at the end of the dock, his feet hanging over the water.

I rolled the larimar stone in my palm. "I should have left it with Lars," I said, grimacing. "Maybe that's how it was supposed to be."

Dark shrugged. "How things should be aren't what matter."

Considering, I looked out over the water's surface, smooth as glass.

"I think Carlos would trade a thousand of these stones for the chance for Lars to be alive."

Dark grunted in agreement. Tucking the stone back into my pocket, I turned and rested my head against his shoulder.

"It's still so peaceful here," I remarked, stretching my legs so my bare toes pointed to the sky. I wiggled and stretched, content.

His arm slipped around me, cuddling me close. "Reminds me of old times."

I smiled in agreement. "With Barton gone, it won't have his protection...or his influence."

"I hear an idea coming on," he teased, ruffling my hair. "What did you have in mind?"

"Well..."

"Zaina," he prodded.

"Elias described to me once what his perfect home would be like, and I thought it was nice," I explained, swishing my feet back and forth in the water. "I thought, that's what all of us in the crew want, too."

"The ship is their home."

"In a way, yes, but it'd be nice to have a place to come to, don't you think?"

Dark angled his head down, a smile coming on. "It is nice."

"If we had a place like Refuge Cay to return to, we could make our permanent home. Not to mention Tallera and Sykes wouldn't have to raise their child on a pirate ship." I snorted.

Dark laughed, nudging my bare feet with his toes. "I think it's one of your best ideas yet."

"That can be our next adventure," I said playfully, bumping my shoulder against him. "Finding a new home."

"Tomorrow's adventure," he countered. "It's important to enjoy today."

I drew back to look at him in mock surprise. "When did you become so sentimental?"

Dark chuckled and pulled me back into his arms, dropping his chin to the top of my head. Together, we sat and watched the water, happy to have a moment of peace.

"Tomorrow's adventure it is."

THE END