Chapter 1: The Loss

She woke up feeling cold. She looked up at her mother who was still asleep. Her bare feet made a cracking sound when they touched the wood floor. She put her uniform on, brushed her hair quickly, grabbed an apple, kissed her mum, and went to school.

She felt sad because her mother didn't wake up this morning to make her breakfast and take her to school like she used to do. But that's okay, she thought. She must be tired from working late.

Andy considered her mother as her idol. She was a nurse in a nearby hospital. She usually worked till 2 pm, but sometimes she had to take night shifts to earn more money to pay the rent on the maturity date and to afford essentials.

They lived in a small house with a single bedroom, but it was enough for them.

People always tell her that she looks like her mother. They even call her Mini-Mia sometimes. She wasn't sure if it was because of their appearance, or their personality. Andy had brown skin, light brown long hair, blue eyes, full lips, and a small nose. She was tall, her body was thin and fit. She had been training to fight since she was 12. She went to the gym regularly. It became one of her hobbies.

Their relationship was strong; Andy told Mia everything and always asked for her advice before taking any vital decision.

When they had to leave Colombia to start a new life in Miami, Mia worked hard for her daughter. Her job filled most of her time, but she always found a way to make it up to her.

"Andy!" her best friend's voice made her realize that she arrived at school "Come and join us."

Meredith was the first girl she met when she started school 4 years ago. She's kind, sweet, and understanding. She had been the source of Andy's positive energy.

She hesitated at first for that she didn't really like the girls that Meredith accompanied, but she didn't want to go to class yet so she did as she was told. "How do you feel today?" Adriana asked. She's the blonde, beautiful, and smart one of the group.

Andy knew what she was referring to but didn't want to answer. "I have to return some books to the library." that's the silliest excuse, she thought, but she couldn't care less. It was a bad idea to even consider sitting with them. These girls were cruel.

She went to class and did everything she could to avoid thinking about yesterday, but her mind kept replaying the moment over and over.

The new literature teacher came yesterday to start his first class. When he noticed her, he told her that he wanted to talk to her in private. She accepted. He asked her about her full name and once she told him "Andy Martinez Bueno", he snapped and started yelling at her. Everyone heard him. It was embarrassing. She couldn't find any realistic explanation for what happened.

Fortunately, it was his first and last day of teaching. She wanted to tell her mother about it but didn't find the chance yet.

The windows were open and the fresh wind caressed her soft skin. It was one of those chilly mornings she grew to like. She loves the cold weather it made her feel good, it reminded her of home. Home, she abstained herself from thinking about home.

Luckily the teacher came and the class began. The day flew quickly. She was looking forward to the walk back home in the chilly afternoon, even though she knew she will arrive with nipped fingers and toes, but that's okay the hug of her mother will warm her.

She knocked on the door then she realized that it was open. She had a mini heart attack; her mother would never leave the door open. She entered the living room followed by the cold wind that gave her chills. It was empty. She rushed to the bedroom but stood paralyzed in front of the door. She couldn't move for what it seemed to be hours then she opened the door with her shaking hand. Andy felt like she was having a nightmare. She inched her hand panicked hoping that she will wake up. Her mother was indeed in the room, on the bed with a knife in her heart swimming in her own blood.

Her brain stopped working she couldn't understand what she was seeing. She approached her carefully and searched desperately for any sign of life, a pulse, a breath, but nothing. Her mother was dead.