The fact that they liked dark forests, far from others that stood in the light of day showed they were evil. Also, they were said to be as active at night as in the day, which he considered another mark of evil. They had started to take over Earth, and it seemed that some were infecting their evil on another planet now too!

As much as he tried, nobody would listen to him about it here! They didn't seem to understand that there were reasons for killing them on sight, as his ancestors had done. Unfortunately, it was illegal on Earth to kill them. His brother had been locked up for killing one that had stolen his brother's deer. It seemed that the justice system was no longer just. His brother had been hunting that deer for hours, so it was his. Not the werewolf that had taken it down, just as he was getting close to it!

The judge had thrown the book at him, with every little bit of legal technicality. They added the fact his gun was unregistered, even if he had bought it legally, and issues with his hunting permit... then they had the gall to make it consecutive, so that he would be in jail till he was ninety! And then only if he was "good" otherwise he'd die in there.

When he last saw his brother, he looked bad. It seemed the wolves howled from the ridge over the jail every full moon, taunting him that they were still out there. It seemed they were not going to let him use the jail's fence to keep them away! While they said they didn't need to change with the moon, he was sure that they did. Why else would all the stories have it?

He grumbled as he started looking into moving again. Maybe to one of the other planets that Folicans had colonized, or maybe he should look at one of their allies.

He quickly ruled out the allies, as they were not even close to humans in form, and he decided they were nothing more that creatures; some made the werewolves look normal! He looked at the other colonies, to figure out where he wanted to go. It didn't matter that there was only one pack on this planet, and they were not even close. He had moved here to get away from them! He couldn't get far enough away. He wondered what would happen if he did a bit of revenge here...

*****

"No!" Sprouts said before they could put some spice in the pot, "You need some of this," She commented, picking up a different jar of spice. She was teaching several of the kitchen helpers how to do some Folican dishes. She could tell by the smell it had been wrong. Most of those in the kitchen used their noses a fair bit while cooking.

Reaching over, she rapped the paw of the young adult that was trying to get a finger of icing from the cake that was going out for dinner. "That goes out at dinner, Jacob!" She commented. "You can taste it then!" She glared, "Try it again, and I will bring you before the Alphas!" It was far from the first time she had to discipline him, and she was tired of having to watch him closely. She didn't mind tasting of dishes, or of a little snacking on the stuff that had gone out, she agreed with her mate that items like that cake, the kitchen helpers didn't get to try before it went out, and they knew—or at least should know—that!

Jacob slunk off to do his job of checking the trays. He knew that Sprouts, while Folican, was picking up the traits from her mate, and didn't let anything slide. It seemed his days of being able to sneak things were over! This was the third time he had tried and been caught.

Sprouts finished her instruction and turned to the other items being cooked. It was middle of the afternoon, and her mate was taking a break. She took hers in the morning. She put Jacob out of her mind, as it wasn't anything to worry about, turning back to the dish she was helping make.

It was the quieter time in the afternoon, between starting the roasts and such that needed several hours, and before they started on the other dishes. She was very much enjoying the wolves' pack.