Season 3: Episode 21

Start from the beginning

He just nodded. "Well, good for you, man. I'm glad you're recovering. I'll jut fix you a virgin soda cranberry then."

I laughed. "Sure."

As Ty disappeared to make my faux alcoholic beverage, I watched Jade converse with Mia and a few other servers. She was excitedly talking, probably about moving to a new state in a few days, and I couldn't help but wonder why I had screwed up what could've been a decent friendship with her. I had really messed up, and after she had basically told me I had messed with her emotions, she hadn't really talked to me since. I couldn't blame her, either.

The party progressed and people enjoyed a relaxed environment with their coworkers. I mingled a bit but avoided talking to too many people in fear of stepping into Jade's spotlight. She deserved to say goodbye to her coworkers without me tainting the experience.

"So, Sam..." Chris appeared next to me. "What are you doing for New Years?"

I shrugged. "I'm not sure yet. Probably just hanging out with my brother and his wife."

"You should definitely watch the fireworks over the bay. That's always a sight," he suggested.

"What about you?" I wondered. "Any big plans?"

"Relaxing." He laughed. "Seriously. I'm literally not going anywhere for the next few days."

"I'm actually a little jealous," I admitted.

We talked for a few more minutes before he moved on to a drinking game with some of his staff. I found it funny that the owner was partying with his bartenders, but also found it endearing. Then, I checked the time and realized it was already 11:30pm. I should leave soon.

I decided to approach Jade who was fixing another drink at the bar, knowing I should tell her goodbye to keep things civil. It was really so other people didn't question what was going on between us.

"I'm uh... I'm gonna head out," I said, gaining Jade's attention. "But I wanted to tell you good luck with moving. I hope California treats you well."

She hesitated to say anything, which I figured was just her drunk way of silently telling me to fuck off. So, instead of lingering I just nodded stiffly before turning around to leave.

"Sam," she said hastily.

I turned back around.

"Good luck, with Megan and everything..." she slightly slurred. "I hope you two can work it out."

"Me, too."

"I know I probably won't be invited to the wedding but..." She shrugged. "I hope to see some cute wedding pics."

I just smiled, unsure of where this would leave us.

Then, she moved in for what looked like a hug, but tripped and her drink flew right into my chest. The chill of the ice rolled down my torso as she retracted quickly and apologized while I just burst into laughter.

"Why are you laughing?" she panicked.

"Because..." I paused. "Does this make us even now?"

She just shook her head and then released a smile and a laugh in return.

"I guess so."

I dabbed my shirt as much as I could before deciding it was dry enough to leave. Then I took one final look at Jade, told her goodbye, and left to return home. There was barely any traffic, which allowed me to get home right at midnight. When I let myself inside, Charlie greeted me, which was strange. Usually she was curled up next to Megan in bed at this time.